Driving me crackers by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
*&^£%$ Micro$oft.

I re-installed Windows 7 last weekend, including SP1 and all went well.

Now, Windows wants to install 156 updates. Trouble is, it takes 15 minutes at shutdown, followed by 45 minutes at startup, only to be told the updates have failed and guess what... everytime I shutdown the whole thing repeats.

I've tried the Micro$oft "fix it" application and it is useless... almost as useless as trying to get any common sense out of Micro$oft's tech support.

So, PLEASE can anybody clue me what to do?

To be frank, rather than attempt to individually install 150 updates with a re-boot each time I'd rather just bin the updates as they'll all be superseded in due course anyway, as indeed, Micro$oft do on a regular basis but i can't discover how to do so in Windows 7 update.

Any help gratefully received - thanks.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Feb 2014, 18:55 #1 

humphshumphs
If you go into the windows update, you should be able to 'turn off' the updates. Right mouse click and 'hide the update' and then windows wont prompt you to install them again.

(I may be wrong, as typing this from memory on a non-windows 7 PC).
Richard

Posted 19 Feb 2014, 19:05 #2 

Mad-Monkey
One of the updates needs to be installed before the others. Which one? That's the good bit! If you turn off the automatic update and install say 10 a time manually you can narrow the offending update down. I had to do this when I reinstalled win7. Drove me potty.

Posted 19 Feb 2014, 19:13 #3 

DaveyC
I ALWAYS turn off all the language pack updates. They are pointless and the system stores all the fonts somewhere that seems to bugger up my system. Like Mad-Monkey says, try installing in smallish groups. It could be your hardware is not able to cope with all the updates at the same time.

How much RAM is in the system?

Posted 19 Feb 2014, 19:30 #4 

raistlin
DaveyC wrote:How much RAM is in the system?

64GB
Paul

Posted 19 Feb 2014, 20:36 #5 

DaveyC
raistlin wrote:
DaveyC wrote:How much RAM is in the system?

64GB

Well, that rules RAM out! LOL. Is it just Windows that throws errors? I would try loading a live install of Linux and see how it performs, just to rule out a hardware issue.

Posted 19 Feb 2014, 21:08 #6 

raistlin
Not sure what the link is between Linux and Windows update Dave?
Paul

Posted 19 Feb 2014, 21:19 #7 

humphshumphs
Just had a thought. Did you install win7 then SP1 or did the win7 include SP1?

If it was win 7 then you installed SP1, then this could be the problem as I think windows needs some updates before SP1 is installed.

I seem to remember having the same problem on a PC, so re-formatted, installed Win7, let it do the updates it wanted first, then SP1, then more updates.
Richard

Posted 20 Feb 2014, 06:48 #8 

raistlin
Makes sense Richard.

How typical of Micro$oft and their policy of assuming their paying customers can be treated as unwilling beta testers.

Yes, I installed SP1 immediate,y after the Windows 7 install :(
Paul

Posted 20 Feb 2014, 07:54 #9