Door mirror movement ? by Tootall

Tootall
Hi all i have a problem with my drivers side door mirror, it will not adjust ?
I have cleaned the contacts on the switch pack and the passenger side moves fine, the heater element is still working on the drivers side so could it be a dead motor ?
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 05 Jul 2014, 11:25 #1 

Duncan
There are two motors, so both would have to have failed. I would suggest more likely is wiring, either broken or water ingress.

Posted 05 Jul 2014, 15:19 #2 

Tootall
Thanks for the info did not know there was two motors.

Posted 07 Jul 2014, 16:38 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Rob (trebor ) had the same problem yesterday and we found out that there are two domed clips behind the mirror plate and one had come unattached once clipped back in mirror works fine I will take a few pics later today to show which dome clip we found to be the problem Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 08 Jul 2014, 11:22 #4 

Trebor
Yes all fine now Steve
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 08 Jul 2014, 19:10 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Trebor wrote:Yes all fine now Steve

Hi Rob.
Great I managed to take some photo's will post up asap cheers Arctic.
Mirror with the glass remover which clicks on by four clips round the backing plate.
Image1

Wires removed from the heated mirror glass
Image2

corresponding circle holes which line up with pegs on the reverse of the mirror glass.
Image3

Note the back plate lines up with the claws behind the plate
Image4

This centre circle corresponds with a flat knuckle at the rear which holds the centre in place you will see this further on later.
Image5

Here you can see the peg/domed clip that helps the mirror move in and out also up and down.
Image6

Image7

You can now see these pegs with ball joint now I have removed the back plate which just pulls forward and off.
Image8

In this photo you can see where the pegs locate into the motor of the mirror
Image9

Also the centre clip circle I gave reference to earlier
Image10

Image11

The pegs also pull out of the back plate as here in this photo.
Image12

The peg as a retaining spring on the end of it's claw as you can see here.
Image13

This peg is pushed over the locating peg that is in the motor as here
Image14

Image15

It is these pegs that can sometime be pushed into far maybe by knocking the mirror, it could be pushed in by cleaning the car who knows, but once it as and then some moves the mirror back into place the mirror glass can and does pop off this peg and its dome knuckle it is then that the mirror will not go in or out or up and down.
Image16

With the back plate removed you need to remove the peg off it locating peg in the motor of the mirror.
Image17

Image18

Remove both if they did not come off when you removed the back plate, I made sure these stayed there so I could do the how to.
Image19

Image20

The pegs now need to be pushed back into the mirror back plate they can only go in one way as the dome knuckle as fins on the edges of them and slot into the
cut outs on the back plate.
Image21

Image22

Make sure both are pushed in firmly
Image23

You can now offer the back plate to the mirror motor keeping the pegs lined up as you do so.
Image24

not forgetting to line up the centre clip also
Image25

Clip one in at a time you will not need to force it, if it does push to far back tease it back forward.
Image26

Make sure both domes are clipped into the back plate and the centre is also clipped and pushed home firmly, with this done you can now replace the mirror glass and connect the wires the mirror should work fine now cheers Arctic.
Image27

The above was worked out between trebor (Rob) and myself when we looked at his power fold mirror these photo's were taken later on a spare mirror I have.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 01:29 #6 

Tootall
How easy is it to remove the mirror glass with out breaking the glass ?

Excellent write up by the way.

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 16:16 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Tootall wrote:How easy is it to remove the mirror glass with out breaking the glass ?

Excellent write up by the way.

Very easy tease it of at first open the edge and you will see where it clips onto the back plate get a finger in and lift the clips cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 21:00 #8 

Trebor
Nice work Steve, great pics
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 10 Jul 2014, 22:20 #9