Door handles, special attn. Monk. by Bernard (Page 1 of 2)

Bernard
I've at long last acquired a set of external door handles with a view to de-chroming the appearance for my all black car.

Anyone got any useful suggestions as to how to go about this. Obviously paint isn't going to be up to the job. I'm thinking powder coating of some sort.

Just wondered how David (Monk)has progressed with his project? Didn't get a chance to talk at the Wolves meet.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 02 Sep 2010, 14:22 #1 

raistlin
Bernard wrote:Anyone got any useful suggestions as to how to go about this

Sandpaper? :gmc:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 02 Sep 2010, 14:40 #2 

Mad-Monkey
I have 1 for practice! I was going to take into my local powder coaters and see what they come up with, although I haven't as of yet. They'll sandblast it then paint it for me. Just depends on what the finish it like as to whether I go ahead to have them all done.

I still want to put LEDs into the backs as well for a glow in the handle areas.

Posted 02 Sep 2010, 15:24 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Just disassembled my door handle and hopefully will get it to the powder coaters tomorrow. Unfortunately I'll have to leave it a week before I can collect it due to work, unless my Dad passes whilst at work, so I can't post the results until a week later.

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 08:03 #4 

Bernard
Strange! Lost a reply that I made yesterday. :(

Was saying how easy it was to actually remove the the handles from the donor car.
The big, big obstacle was finding the release clip in the confined area above the lock.

My mate has an endoscope type thingy which I will try to borrow for when I change them on the car.

Might be a job for a nano-meet. ;)

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 08:15 #5 

Zeb
Bernard wrote:Strange! Lost a reply that I made yesterday. :(

Was saying how easy it was to actually remove the the handles from the donor car.
The big, big obstacle was finding the release clip in the confined area above the lock.

My mate has an endoscope type thingy which I will try to borrow for when I change them on the car.

This is actually easy IF you can take out the three star bolts (Made of cheese so be careful!) and drop the lock mechanism downwards first. :D

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 08:31 #6 

Bernard
Zeb wrote:
Bernard wrote:Strange! Lost a reply that I made yesterday. :(

This is actually easy IF you can take out the three star bolts (Made of cheese so be careful!) and drop the lock mechanism downwards first. :D

Yes but you can't relocate the locks without taking off the door cards otherwise it would be really good.

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 08:40 #7 

Mad-Monkey
When I fit them I'll strip the door anyway as I still want to put LEDs into the handle. Running the wires looks pretty fiddly, need to obtain a sharp 1mm metal drill bit to have a practice :? :shock:

They look like they'll powder coat up nice too! Depends how well the shade matches the car.

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 08:45 #8 

Zeb
Bernard wrote:Yes but you can't relocate the locks without taking off the door cards otherwise it would be really good.

Hmmm...you have a point there.... :gmc:

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 08:54 #9 

Bernard
Monk wrote:When I fit them I'll strip the door anyway as I still want to put LEDs into the handle. Running the wires looks pretty fiddly, need to obtain a sharp 1mm metal drill bit to have a practice :? :shock:

They look like they'll powder coat up nice too! Depends how well the shade matches the car.

I can't remember your car's colour, David?

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 08:57 #10 

Mad-Monkey
Bernard wrote:
Monk wrote:When I fit them I'll strip the door anyway as I still want to put LEDs into the handle. Running the wires looks pretty fiddly, need to obtain a sharp 1mm metal drill bit to have a practice :? :shock:

I can't remember your car's colour, David?

I call it dirt :gmc: :mrgreen:

It pearl black. Im still hoping to get to the powder coaters in the morning, but havent drilled my holes. Not sure if the holes would weaken the handle so might just get it painted up for now.

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 21:12 #11 

Bernard
Monk wrote:I call it dirt :gmc: :mrgreen:

It pearl black. Im still hoping to get to the powder coaters in the morning, but havent drilled my holes. Not sure if the holes would weaken the handle so might just get it painted up for now.

Of course it is! :em: Then I look forward to seeing the result from the powder coaters, as it's the same as mine.

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 21:22 #12 

Mad-Monkey
Bernard wrote:
Monk wrote:I call it dirt :gmc: :mrgreen:

Of course it is! :em: Then I look forward to seeing the result from the powder coaters, as it's the same as mine.

Hoping I can give them my paint code off the car for a colour match, but we shall see! ;)

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 21:24 #13 

Bernard
Monk wrote:
Hoping I can give them my paint code off the car for a colour match, but we shall see! ;)

I haven't had much to do with powder coating for about a dozen years or so but then they were using RAL colours and not automobile shades. Hopefully it may be different now. :confused:

Used to cost mega-bucks if you wanted anything other than their limited range of standard colours too.

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 21:30 #14 

Mad-Monkey
RAL colours ring a bell from when I did my Mirror Stanchions, but I just said matt black will do thanks :D

I wonder if they have colour samples. I don't think my local cost too much as my sisters partner had his wheels done is some non-standard colour quite cheaply, and they look good!

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 21:51 #15 

geesmith
Bernard, have you considered de-chroming and re-chroming with black chrome?

Just a thought that crossed my mind while I had a keyboard in front of me..... it's not as daft as it sounds....depending on how you say it of course...

.....though I suppose it wouldn't work on a grey car the same... :gmc:

Posted 03 Sep 2010, 22:18 #16 

Bernard
geesmith wrote:Bernard, have you considered de-chroming and re-chroming with black chrome?

Just a thought that crossed my mind while I had a keyboard in front of me..... it's not as daft as it sounds....depending on how you say it of course...

.....though I suppose it wouldn't work on a grey car the same... :gmc:

This is the kind of suggestion that I was hoping for.

Do you know anything about the process or who can do it?

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 07:53 #17 

SpongeBob
What about alloy wheel refurb companies? They usually offer shadow chrome or black/dark chrome options.

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 11:32 #18 

Mad-Monkey
Well the powder coaters was a fail! I got there 10min after closing!! :em:

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 21:46 #19 

geesmith
I think finding them closed could be the best thing that happened... ;) Powder coated door handles would probably suffer from handling eventually and nothing would show it better than black, whereas chrome plating would be more tolerant and would clean up as good as new for a long time.

Here's a good start for your new venture..
http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/i/manufact ... directory/
uncovered by a quick search for "black chrome midlands"...don't forget to scroll down the page and phone 12 minutes before closing at the very latest. :D

I'm also starting to think that black chrome could look quite classy on "dirt grey" :shock:

The only downside being that copper is worth its weight in money at the moment and I suspect the items would need to be copper plated to accept the chrome....don't forget we are working to 'baby Bentley' standards here.....

Posted 04 Sep 2010, 22:21 #20