Donovan & Jimmy Page by zojosc

zojosc
Anyone lucky enough to also be at the Royal Albert Hall last week to see Donovan perform the whole of the Sunshine Superman album with the London Contempary Orchestra and guest Jimmy Page. A fabulous evening that ended much to quickly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHU7Obk6SWU
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 10 Jun 2011, 14:55 #1 

PaulT
Was out of the country last week but still DAMN - did not know Donovan was performing.

Was booked to see him a couple of years ago but the tour was cancelled.

In the 80 went to see Dylan and a couple of days later Donovan. For both it was their second nights.

Dylan had played Paris on the first date and done his Gospel thing which was heavily criticised and he said he would not do it again. So on the second night he did and I went out to the bar. For one of the encores he had the acoustic guitar and harmonice. If only the whole set had been like that. In addition, he did All Along the Watchtower - if you aren't Jimi Hendrix leave it alone.

And then to Donovan. His first night had been at the Albert Hall and his act got criticised. The second night was in Croydon and he seemed a little subdued when he came on, I presume because of the criticism. However, he was absolutely brilliant. He also had his daughter with him and she was very good.

Who would I go and see out of the two of them - Donovan.

Shall now go and see if he is playing any other gigs.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Jun 2011, 15:29 #2 

Tourerfogey
Don't agree with the comment 'if you aren't Jimmy Hendrix, leave it alone' Dylan's own version is excellent. Ferry also did a good cover of it. :)

Posted 10 Jun 2011, 16:01 #3 

PaulT
Tourerfogey wrote:Don't agree with the comment 'if you aren't Jimmy Hendrix, leave it alone' Dylan's own version is excellent. Ferry also did a good cover of it. :)

We will have to agree to disagree
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Jun 2011, 18:24 #4