Does anyone remember...... by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
I've got to give a research presentation for one of my modules covering Germany Music Cultures.

The band I am having to give a presentation on is a group called D.A.F. (Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft.)

Although I've enough resources to study the lyrics and their history from the web, I was wondering if anyone experienced/can remember the reaction of this group over here as I have to admit they were kind of before my time, so going on personal experience is out of the window.

Cheers in advance,

Jake

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 21:44 #1 

JohnDotCom
Unfortunately never heard of them, could be because of my age to. :D
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 22:02 #2 

Tourerfogey
Mmm, I'm more Nat King Cole than Cheryl Cole :D

Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft - Late 70s early 80s apparently - me? - I've never heard of them either.

Jake - what are you actually studying to be lumbered with this?

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 22:09 #3 

JakeWilson
They're late 70's/80's from what is called the NDW - Neue Deutsche Welle (New German Wave of Music).

Basically a push for Music to be produced in the German Language rather than the English that had been adopted through the influence of the Americans and us as part of the East/West divide.

Part of the research i've done so far tells of praise over here by the likes of John Peel, so I thought they might be known by someone? :-o

Basil - It's a module I elected to do as part of my German BA I'm doing. I'm a big fan of 80's music and particularly electronic stuff so I picked this band.

The alarming thing is - as well as giving a presentation on them, I've then to go on to produce a 2,500 word essay on them.

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 22:16 #4 

Tourerfogey
Well, the name of the bands got three words in it, so only 2497 to go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 22:20 #5 

JakeWilson
Tourerfogey wrote:Well, the name of the bands got three words in it, so only 2497 to go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :clap: :cheers:

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 22:24 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Never heard of them myself. Now "Rammstein" although a very limited UK audience, Heavy Kraut Rock at it's best.

Crank up the volume, if you dare. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4K6ZxDw ... 7BnaJBpQ4C

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 22:25 #7 

JakeWilson
Mick wrote:Never heard of them myself. Now "Rammstein" although a very limited UK audience, Heavy Kraut Rock at it's best.

Crank up the volume, if you dare. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4K6ZxDw ... 7BnaJBpQ4C

They are very good - we had one of there's at a lecture at 9am on a Friday morning, interestingly the following two songs are taken from Goethe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDAppCS6d8M

and Dalai Lama is taken from a nordic childs tail I believe, again made famous by Goethe.

Ok, I'll go... :gmc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU5rBEX8-L4

Posted 24 Mar 2011, 22:41 #8 

James.uk
I don't remember anything except them germins blew up our chippy innit... :mad1:

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 02:00 #9 

Duncan
80's electronic, my era as well.

Unfortunately, never heard of these. Power Station, yes. But not these.

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 08:00 #10 

Martin
Now here's one for you.............the only German Band I remember is "Amon Duul 11" anyone remember them :lol:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 08:38 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Martin wrote:Now here's one for you.............the only German Band I remember is "Amon Duul 11" anyone remember them :lol:

The name yes, can't say I remember anything they did. More of a West Coast Acid Rock man myself from a slightly earlier time. ;)

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 09:47 #12 

Duncan
I've found someone who does remember them.

However Herr Lahann doesn't really count I suppose.

He didn't say much else about them.

No-one else had heard of them, even within my German Colleagues. They are probably too young, though. Some of them have only heard of records, never actually seen one.

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 13:35 #13 

hodgy
Was Clockwork a German group/band. I remember listening to them in my youth.
Doors wide open Dave :D
Best Regards

Alan

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 17:58 #14 

Bernard
Kraftwerke are the only ones that I could name.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 18:28 #15 

Duncan
Bernard wrote:Kraftwerke are the only ones that I could name.

Copycat!

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 18:40 #16 

hodgy
Duncan wrote:
Bernard wrote:Kraftwerke are the only ones that I could name.

Copycat!

Thats em not clockwork :em:
Best Regards

Alan

Posted 25 Mar 2011, 19:49 #17 

Dave
If you like Rammstein, then you'll also like "Oomph!"

(also German, same genre and IMHO, just as good!)

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 19:02 #18