Does anyone have an LPG Conversion? by carlpenn

• Related topics: (no related topics)

carlpenn
Now that I am finally almost on top of all those niggly little problems that we have endured with the 75, we are looking at having a conversion to LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) carried out.

However, I am wondering if anyone here has their 75 converted and if so what differences there are between the petrol and LPG running, other than costs.

I have spoken to an approved fitter, who quoted £1600 for a conversion, they stated that there is little difference between performance on each fuel. But what kind of fuel economy do you get using the LPG?

I do know there is no reward from our Government for converting my Car or as they put it - "My old pile of polluting mess" - Into a green tree hugging machine:

Quote: "Although engine size can be a reasonable proxy for fuel consumption, we recognise that it does not give a totally reliable measure of environmental impact. Other factors, such as the age or mechanical condition of a vehicle and the way in which it is driven, can have a crucial impact on the amount of CO2 it emits. "

Anyway, any advice or 75 relative info would be appreciated :D
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 00:53 #1 

stevemac
I have a conversion on a auto 1.8 turbo. There is no difference in performance that I have noticed. My mpg has gone down from around 28mpg to around 22mpg. I found the conversion worth every penny and it paid for itself in about two years (13k miles pa) HTH
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 01:06 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
That's very nearly double the price of a quality conversion. Around £900.00 is more the going rate.
There are several members running LPG and at least one that is an expert.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 01:17 #3 

Zeb
Mick wrote:That's very nearly double the price of a quality conversion. Around £900.00 is more the going rate.

For a V6 Carl's price sounds about right to me..... :D

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 05:37 #4 

Last edited by Zeb on 22 Jan 2011, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

carlpenn
Hi and thanks for responses :)

Stevemac, LPG produces lower MPG? Not a Major issue, it is just that I wasnt given this impression when speaking to the Conversion Company.

My mpg has gone down from around 28mpg to around 22mpg.

I did an online calculator and it basically gave me an estimated saving of £1200 per year on my current fuel costs. Which is good as they are currently over £2500. But obviously needed clarification :)

Good to see the performance is no different too. Another question is, due to the fact LPG will not contain any oily substances when burnt, I assume it will be better for the Engine too in the long run? Due to lower oily deposits within the fuel / air intake and exhaust sytem?

Mick, I had only called one company as it was just an enquiry to get the ball rolling. The quote I was given was for a 2l V6 with the LPG Tank in the Wheel well and the Filler nozzle routed through the Bumper, the LPG switch situated in the Centre position on my already existing Switch panel on the Centre console.

Sorry to ask so many questions here, but I wanted to know from People with the conversion rather than a company who wants to sell me one, if that makes sense.

Thank you again for responses :)
Upgrades:

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 10:27 #5 

Bernard
The car will perform almost exactly the same on LPG as on petrol depending really on how well it is set up. As LPG has a lower calorific value by volume then you can expect to use 15%-20% more LPG again by volume.
The petrol system still is in control regarding the amount of fuel delivered, except on acceleration when the whole system runs in 'open loop'. This is the area where all is gained or lost as it has to be mapped by the guy setting it up. This is also the area where further MPG will be lost if not set correctly.

As far as price goes, that is about right even though the kit prices have come down a little over the last couple of years. You may find it a little cheaper or you could get it done for a lot less by the dodgy East European outfits over here but I suggest that you ask member Kevin for a testimonial first. It will contain some naughty words, you are warned!

Which make of equipment is he quoting you for?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 10:40 #6 

Bernard
carlpenn wrote:
Good to see the performance is no different too. Another question is, due to the fact LPG will not contain any oily substances when burnt, I assume it will be better for the Engine too in the long run? Due to lower oily deposits within the fuel / air intake and exhaust sytem?

You can see how clean it runs from the colour of the engine oil too

Mick, I had only called one company as it was just an enquiry to get the ball rolling. The quote I was given was for a 2l V6 with the LPG Tank in the Wheel well and the Filler nozzle routed through the Bumper, the LPG switch situated in the Centre position on my already existing Switch panel on the Centre console.

If the filler is mounted in the bumper there has to be a metal plate fixed to give sufficient strength to the mounting such that in a drive-off situation with the filler hose attached, the bumper can withstand the force to break the safety connector in the hose. This is so often ignored even by the 'approved' installers.

Sorry to ask so many questions here, but I wanted to know from People with the conversion rather than a company who wants to sell me one, if that makes sense.

Thank you again for responses :)

I'm retired now so no axe to grind. :D
If you are capable of removing and replacing the plastic inlet tract on the V6, why not DIY?
Kevin is converting his present vehicle as we speak. ;)

I shall be at Trebor's Chasewater meet if you want to come along and have a chat about it.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 11:42 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Zeb wrote:
Mick wrote:That's very nearly double the price of a quality conversion. Around £900.00 is more the going rate.

For a V6 his price sounds about right to me..... :D

I see, I was going on the from price. :(

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 13:59 #8 

kevin
Bernard wrote:The car will perform almost exactly the same on LPG as on petrol depending really on how well it is set up. As LPG has a lower calorific value by volume then you can expect to use 15%-20% more LPG again by volume.
The petrol system still is in control regarding the amount of fuel delivered, except on acceleration when the whole system runs in 'open loop'. This is the area where all is gained or lost as it has to be mapped by the guy setting it up. This is also the area where further MPG will be lost if not set correctly.

As far as price goes, that is about right even though the kit prices have come down a little over the last couple of years. You may find it a little cheaper or you could get it done for a lot less by the dodgy East European outfits over here but I suggest that you ask member Kevin for a testimonial first. It will contain some naughty words, you are warned!

Which make of equipment is he quoting you for?

pleae dont ask for a testimonial,it would be all naughty words, mate.

mick I got a £900 conversion on a v6, I cant put what Bernard said when he saw it.

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 17:53 #9 

SpongeBob
Check where you nearest garage is that sells LPG too Carl. I've got LPG on mine and the nearest garage is 5 miles away. Okay no big deal but its generally in the opposite direction to where I'm usually heading :roll:

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 18:35 #10 

Trebor
if everything goes to plan i will be buying some sort of gas gussler at some point this year which i will definitely have converted to LPG and Bernard is the man, i will be hanging onto the 75 conny though, best car i have had so far bar none.
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 20:53 #11 

carlpenn
Thank you again for your responses, I will make a concerted effort to come see you at the Chasewater meet Bernard, however it does depend on my Wifes work schedule and whether or not she needs the car to get there, I hope you dont mind if I bring a notepad and question sheet though if I can get there :p

Spongebob, I did a check online for local LPG pumps and it seems we are ok here, there are a few places within local travelling distance i.e on the way to our usual supermarkets etc.

I didn't know you could DIY the conversion, that would be something I would consider dependant on the difficulty involved. I know I am comepetent to do things mechannically its confidence I lack :(
Upgrades:

Posted 22 Jan 2011, 23:46 #12