Do I? Or Don't I? by Zeb (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Zeb
Change the clutch myself on the 190 that is.....?

Would need to buy... ramps, decent socket set and ratchet spanners and probably a clutch aligning tool....

Or,

I could wait another two weeks to think about maybe fitting my car in for them to do it...

I can wield spanners successfully....but valve timing? Forget it.... :em:

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 18:40 #1 

PaulT
Clutch aligning tool - a round rod of some description with insulating tape wound around it to fit the bush and clutch centre.

Ramps and scoket set - always useful for other things.

Go for it

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 19:31 #2 

Duncan
I'd say go for it, but then again how experienced are you at spannering. If you don't have sockets and spanners already, suggests you are a bit of a novice. Of course this could be a crass assumption, and I apologise in advance if that is so.

A clutch aligning tool is peanuts in comparison to the clutch parts.

When I did the clutch on my V6 (only a 2.0 not a 190) I removed the subframe as per the manual. Even if you don't, you need to pull the driveshafts out of the gearbox, and you can't do that while it's on it's wheels on ramps. So a trolley jack and axle stands under the sills are the order of the day.

It's not a difficult job, but might be a brave start if you've not done much before.

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 20:17 #3 

Zeb
Cheers chaps... I have done a fair bit of spannering but have managed to break my socket driver and have never owned nice whirly ratchet spanners... :D

I have the axle stands and the heavy duty jack...and I have access to an engine hoist if need be...so I suppose I have few excuses not to do it really! :shock:

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 20:32 #4 

Duncan
Right, no excuses.

Whirly ratchet spanners not required, but you may decide that the money you save doing the job justifies purchasing them.

Make sure you get a decent ratchet, a nice long breaker bar, and an aligning tool. The old style ones are no good, you need a newer style with a cone, but still only a few notes.

An engine hoist is a decided boon if you are doing it single handed. Saves balancing the box on a trolley jack and hoping it doesn't fall on your head.

Go for it, but don't blame me when it all turns brown and smelly...... ;)

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 20:53 #5 

Martin
I have a set of ramps you can have..............of course this will force me to deliver them............................. :roll: :lol:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 21:36 #6 

JohnDotCom
Sounds a perfect job for the North East Nano with proper ramps, the works at Spanner it.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 22:44 #7 

Zeb
Martin wrote:I have a set of ramps you can have..............of course this will force me to deliver them............................. :roll: :lol:

Cheers Martin! If I could borrow them for a wee while I'd be grateful....once I have made the decisison to do it myself that is..... :shock:

JohnDotCom wrote:Sounds a perfect job for the North East Nano with proper ramps, the works at Spanner it.

It would John but it'd need trailering there now.... :em:

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 07:01 #8 

MrB
Sounds like you need to organise a mini nano-meet at your place then Zeb.

Everyone has to bring a set of ratchet spanners, a clutch alignment tool, set of ramps or trolley jack. :lol:
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 20:29 #9 

JohnDotCom
I'll bring the bacon and mushroom hot rolls.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 21:20 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I'll bring a chair and whip in case anybody tries to escape before the job is finished.

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 21:21 #11 

Zeb
Now this is looking promising.... :D

Posted 09 Mar 2011, 19:56 #12 

Martin
Yep I'll be there if only to give advise on thrust bearings :roll: :lol:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 09 Mar 2011, 20:18 #13 

JakeWilson
Just a thought, but how about a Nano at mine? If we could get say an Air Con guy there, a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System)'er, food is sorted and we've LOTS of space?

Posted 09 Mar 2011, 20:25 #14 

Zeb
NIce idea Jake....best get me clutch done before then though... :lol: Going to start on it tomorrow... :?

Posted 09 Mar 2011, 21:03 #15 

Tourerfogey
Best of luck with it then Carl, and remember, we wanna see lots of pics please . . .

Posted 09 Mar 2011, 22:13 #16 

Duncan
You know, I think an audio recording of various jobs would be way more interesting than photos.

You could have alssorts of games:

guess what the job was.
guess who it is doing the job.
guess who was standing around watching / criticising / whatever
guess what just caused that stream of invective

and finally, guess whether they'll ever be doing that again, or taking it to someone else.

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 13:09 #17 

Bermudan 75
Re- Audio recording............

I can imagine that there would be a lot of bleeping over the swear words :lol:

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 13:47 #18 

Tourerfogey
Duncan wrote:You know, I think an audio recording of various jobs would be way more interesting than photos.

You could have alssorts of games:

guess what the job was.
guess who it is doing the job.
guess who was standing around watching / criticising / whatever
guess what just caused that stream of invective

and finally, guess whether they'll ever be doing that again, or taking it to someone else.

What a great idea!! We could sell it to the Discovery Channel and make Zeb the star he deserves to be :D

How about it then Carl ?

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 15:08 #19 

Zeb
Well that went well..... :?

1st job, remove old locking wheel nuts..............soooo that was the whole afternoon gone.. :roll:

As the MG advert said 'Life is too short....' :lol:

Had to go to my local garage to borrow their locknut removal kit...and explained why I wanted the wheels off...that I was going to do the job myself....suddenly a slot became available to fit my car in for them to do it.... :confused:

I HAVE managed to fit Les' replacement lock nuts however... :thumbsup:

Given we have gale force winds forecast and I would have to do the job on the driveway it seemed the sensible option to chicken out.... :gmc:

Posted 10 Mar 2011, 18:47 #20