Disk brake pads... by Zeb

Zeb
I am about to replace my disks on the 190 which have become very thin....but the pads have hardly worn at all! Now I know best practice is to replace the pads as well but that is more expense and seems a tad pointless given the current ones are in fine fettle. Can anyone offer anything hard and fast about keeping the old pads?

Posted 22 Feb 2011, 13:20 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
No reason to change pads if they are still in good nick. IMHO

Posted 22 Feb 2011, 13:28 #2 

Tourerfogey
Think they should be ok so long as any wear is even across the pads.

Posted 22 Feb 2011, 14:46 #3 

Zeb
Excellent! On the basis of your replies chaps I have ordered just dimpled and slotted disks for my ever-lasting pads... :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Hope these will be as good as the ones on the V8... :)

Posted 22 Feb 2011, 15:06 #4 

JohnDotCom
I always found that the slotted discs wore out the pads quicker.
Does depend on brand of course.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 24 Feb 2011, 18:36 #5 

Zeb
JohnDotCom wrote:I always found that the slotted discs wore out the pads quicker.
Does depend on brand of course.

Ah....so it'll be the irresistible meets the immoveable then... :lol:

Posted 24 Feb 2011, 19:10 #6 

takestock
Interested in the quality of these, may be looking to replace my discs all round this year :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 24 Feb 2011, 20:15 #7 

Zeb
takestock wrote:Interested in the quality of these, may be looking to replace my discs all round this year :)

They would appear to be coming from Ireland....will keep you informed as to how good they turn out to be.

Posted 24 Feb 2011, 20:20 #8 

Andrew
The only advice i got when replacing brake discs was only try and brake lightly for the first 1000 miles to work harden the surface ok after that, well it seemed to work.

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 12:52 #9 

James.uk
Slotted disks eat pads for breakfast!! And they don't work any better either! :-|

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 16:16 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
James.uk wrote:Slotted disks eat pads for breakfast!! And they don't work any better either! :-
Allegedly keep the brakes cooler to alleviate fade. Waste of time IMHO unless you are racing

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 17:04 #11 

Zeb
They looks pretty though.... :D

Can't say how good they are....only managed a quick trip out with Martin in her who reassured me the clutch was good for the next seventy years and I was just being paranoid about the noise....next attempted trip out the clutch pedal dropped to the floor before I got off the bloomin' driveway! :lol:

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 18:44 #12