Diesel in tank pump change by PaulT

PaulT
A friend had his pump go quite a few miles from home. His car was taken home by AA Relay - only took 11 hours. Apparently, the drivers can only go 60 miles outside their area so it meant a great deal of off-loading and on-loading.

A local garage replaced the pump for him and presented him with a bill for £550!!!

Just looked up the latest price on Rimmers site - £135.72 including VAT. So they charged him £400+ to fit it.

Nice work if you can get it.

As a PS I have constantly warned him about waiting for the yellow light to come on before refueling.

As a PPS just noticed that they also list a pump described as Fuel Pump Unit - In Tank - Dual Pump System - Genuine MG Rover fuel burning heater at a price of £331.43. Why the difference (he does not have a fuel burning heater so would not require this one).
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 06:53 #1 

JakeWilson
PaulT wrote:A friend had his pump go quite a few miles from home. His car was taken home by AA Relay - only took 11 hours. Apparently, the drivers can only go 60 miles outside their area so it meant a great deal of off-loading and on-loading.

A local garage replaced the pump for him and presented him with a bill for £550!!!

Just looked up the latest price on Rimmers site - £135.72 including VAT. So they charged him £400+ to fit it.

Nice work if you can get it.

As a PS I have constantly warned him about waiting for the yellow light to come on before refueling.

As a PPS just noticed that they also list a pump described as Fuel Pump Unit - In Tank - Dual Pump System - Genuine MG Rover fuel burning heater at a price of £331.43. Why the difference (he does not have a fuel burning heater so would not require this one).

Morning Paul! :-)

I am guessing the pump fitted is for the earlier cars that had the 2 under bonnet fuel pumps and as most early cars came with an FBH (Fuel burning heater.) fitted (if not operational) the tank pump will have have to act differently to the later cars that didn't come with FBH as standard and only had the 1 high-pressure pump.

All the best,

Jake

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 07:09 #2 

JohnDotCom
At least the RAC service takes you home with no changes of recovery lorry and if over a few hundred miles have a relief driver on board.

That does seem expensive, always get prices first if not doing the work yourself.
Mind you that wouldn't cover four hours labor at my Brothers garage.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 07:47 #3 

PaulT
Jake, it would seem that very few cars had the single pump system. I was surprised when looking at 2004 Facelifted models to see an under bonnet pump. Looking on Rimmers website the change to single pump took place in 2005 from vin number 332301.

I also thought that the FBH had its own pump - really must pull mine out and get it working.

John - having changed the in-tank pump on mine it is quite a quick job so would seem affordable at your Brothers garage.
Paul

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 08:06 #4 

JakeWilson
Paul,

Just incase I am being Dim it's the in-tank pump he had changed?

Both my mk2's have one under bonnet (high pressure) pump as well as intank, but the earlier 75's had 2 low pressure pumps under the bonnet as well as the sender unit in the tank (I believe, happy to be proved wrong!)Again, not coming from any source of authority, but that would be my guess as what is meant by:

Fuel Pump Unit - In Tank - Dual Pump System - Genuine MG Rover fuel burning heater.

Someone like Duncan or BigRuss would be able to clarify! :-S

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 08:26 #5 

PaulT
Jake

I believe that there was a pump under the bonnet for the FBH. For the actual engine it was the same throughout until it was changed to the single pump system.

My car has the FBH (although not working). I still have the original in tank pump (was meaning to fit the PUG pump but the MKON option looks interesting) and will look to see if it is different from the replacement - at least the tops as I am not going to pull the owrking one out :(
Paul

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 08:57 #6 

MrB
The pump for the FBH is located on the drivers side rear near to the fuel cooler.

The dual pump diesels have an under bonnet pump just behind the fuel filter and the in tank pump, both of which are low pressure.

The single pump cars just have a single in tank pump IIRC and no under bonnet pump.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 09:18 #7 

Duncan
MrB wrote:The pump for the FBH is located on the drivers side rear near to the fuel cooler.

The dual pump diesels have an under bonnet pump just behind the fuel filter and the in tank pump, both of which are low pressure.

The single pump cars just have a single in tank pump IIRC and no under bonnet pump.

Yes, except don't forget all diesels have the engine mounted high pressure pump as well as one or two low pressure pumps. This is mechanical not electric, and isn't included when considering single / twin. My 04 facelift does have the underbonnet electric low pressure pump that is missing on later cars.

Regarding the fuel burning heater: the feed pipe to the FBH pump is an extra feed from the tank, so it makes a difference to the system as I think this pipe is an extra outlet from the right hand unit. However, even on car without FBH, the pipework is all fitted, at least for UK market models, so that doesn't explain why there are versions with and without. Maybe for some hot climate markets, the pipework wasn't fitted either, so a pump with no feed pipe is needed?

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 12:12 #8 

stroheim
PaulT wrote:Jake, it would seem that very few cars had the single pump system. I was surprised when looking at 2004 Facelifted models to see an under bonnet pump. Looking on Rimmers website the change to single pump took place in 2005 from vin number 332301.

I also thought that the FBH had its own pump - really must pull mine out and get it working.

John - having changed the in-tank pump on mine it is quite a quick job so would seem affordable at your Brothers garage.

Hi my 75 is a 54 plate and its got one pump (just went out to double check) and my vin number is greater than 332301 so it seems that the change to from two pumps maybe took place in 04

Posted 23 Jun 2011, 14:39 #9