diesel dies out @ 3000rpm by johnwh74

johnwh74
Well i sort out one problem and something else just goes wrong. This time it gets fixed on the cheap ( when i find out what the problem is) and then its going. Had enough of the ****** thing.

2002 rover 75 2.0 diesel. Drive it smoothly and its fine until you get to 3000rpm and then it just dies, runs ok up to that point. starts first turn of the key, no warning lights, no smoke. I am thinking camshaft sensor or crank shaft sensor but i am a novice. :gmc:

any ideas please guys??

thanks John
Nottingham Forest Forever

Posted 27 Aug 2010, 23:48 #1 

Duncan
I'd suggest getting a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) / Testbook on it.

If the system thinks there's a problem, in can limit the revs to 3000 RPM. Another member had a similar issue but don't know if it got sorted.

Posted 28 Aug 2010, 08:48 #2 

Russ
(Trader)
Sounds like a fuel system low pressure problem, the ecu will limit the revs when it hasn't enough fuel pressure.

Failing lift pumps, injector leakback, faulty or bad connection to fuel presssure sensor and blocked filters can all be possibles.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 28 Aug 2010, 10:03 #3 

johnwh74
A trip to Andy Willi who plugged me in and had a look. Turns out to be the mass air flow sensor had decided to plug itself back in for some reason. I know it has been unplugged ever since i have had the car, Andy plugged it in when i was having injector problems and it just took all the power away so we unplugged it again.
sure start diesel plugged it in when they did my injector and took it off again when i told them. but instead of totally unplugging it they just unclipped it leaving it sat on top. With the engine vibrating, it has worked itself down and re plugged itself in

So again, a huge thank you to Andy Willi of A & L automotive Doncaster for sorting that out and putting a smile back on my face. :thumbsup:
Still want a ZT though

Thanks everyone for the help and advice, makes being a part of this family worth while

Posted 28 Aug 2010, 11:22 #4 

SpongeBob
If I were you I'd recommend getting a new MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). The sensor controls fuelling and the very fact your car runs better without it is a classic symptom of it being out of spec. However, without it fitted the ECU (Engine Control Unit) defaults to a standard flat fuelling program which leads to massive amounts of over fuelling. Not only does this lead to decreased mpg figures but could also potentially lead to further problems. 

For example, unburnt fuel in the exhaust gasses could evetually cause a build up of oily deposits in your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) and when combined with soot these deposits will block and cause other problems for your PCV and engine as a whole. 

Whilst replacing the MAF you might want to consider fitting a Synergy performance box that'll give you a power boost across the entire rev range. 

We've got plenty of diesel owners here who'll be more than happy to guide and help you out. :)

Posted 28 Aug 2010, 14:07 #5 

andy willi
(Trader)
happy to sort it john your on the tea run next time

free is best

andy :panic: :unionflag:
alautomotive.info

Posted 28 Aug 2010, 18:25 #6 

johnwh74
SpongeBob wrote:If I were you I'd recommend getting a new MAF. The sensor controls fuelling and the very fact your car runs better without it is a classic symptom of it being out of spec. However, without it fitted the ECU defaults to a standard flat fuelling program which leads to massive amounts of over fuelling. Not only does this lead to decreased mpg figures but could also potentially lead to further problems. 

For example, unburnt fuel in the exhaust gasses could evetually cause a build up of oily deposits in your PCV and when combined with soot these deposits will block and cause other problems for your PCV and engine as a whole. 

Whilst replacing the MAF you might want to consider fitting a Synergy performance box that'll give you a power boost across the entire rev range. 

We've got plenty of diesel owners here who'll be more than happy to guide and help you out. :)

i am going to get that priced up and hopefully sorted next week spongeBob. I know what you're saying makes sense, i would love a bit more power as well but wouldnt every one :D

Andy willi I will bring the biscuits next time as well. Thanks again mate, not just a great mechanic but an absolute great guy as well :clap:

Posted 28 Aug 2010, 18:53 #7