Diesel Cruise Control Loom? by DaveyC (Page 1 of 2)

DaveyC
I have bought a diesel cruise control setup but having looked at a number of how to threads, I am now concerned that I may not have the loom fitted to my car.

Is there an easy way to establish this without pulling most of the centre console out? :confused:

I had a look behind the switch panel and passenger side cup holder (as they came out very easily) but I could not see wires or plugs referred to in some of the other threads.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave :mrgreen:

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 15:11 #1 

raistlin
The connector for the CC power switch would have, probably, some thin foam wrapped around it Davey. When Duncan and I searched for the Traction Control connector for VeeKay we had to remove the ash tray assembly as it was tucked underneath and took quite a lot of finding.

It only takes a few minutes to remove the switch panel, ashtray assembly and possibly the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control)/ /heater controls. That way you ensure full access to find the connector.

If you're not sure, I can give you a hand :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 15:42 #2 

DaveyC
Hi Paul,

Well as it turns out my curiosity has by far got the better of me! I have removed pretty much the centre console with the exception of the radio. I can't see anything. I also can't get the connector off the back of the cigarette lighter, so can't quite search under the whole are but its not looking promising......

Found this odd connector though and a random wire not connected to anything.

Regards,

Dave

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 15:53 #3 

raistlin
Davey,

It might be worth having a grope under the lower edge of the centre console as you have the ash tray out. The connector on VeeKay had been jammed under there.

Other than that, I'd begin to suspect that you didn't have the loom.

IIRC, it is a black 6 contact connector with, I think, 5 wires fitted.
Paul

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 16:16 #4 

DaveyC
Can't find a thing after looking. will get camera out and take some pics inside from all angles and will the be able to see if there is anything.

If I don't have the loom, I assume I am stuffed?

Cheers,

Dave

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 16:22 #5 

raistlin
DaveyC wrote:If I don't have the loom, I assume I am stuffed?

No you're not. It just becomes more involved and time consuming.
Paul

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 16:29 #6 

DaveyC
raistlin wrote:
DaveyC wrote:If I don't have the loom, I assume I am stuffed?

No you're not. It just becomes more involved and time consuming.

Do you know which loom parts I need to source ?

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 16:48 #7 

raistlin
Not off-hand no Davey. Probably a case of cutting off the appropriate connectors plus a few inches of cable from a scrapper. We can get some new connectors but as I said, not exactly sure which ones are required.

Presumably, you have a steering wheel with the actuating switches on? In which case, I suspect you'd need the ECU (Engine Control Unit) and master power switch connectors. You'll need a clutch switch connector as well. I can't remember whether the brake switch is the same one that operates the brake lights. I have more than enough wire, crimps, etc. for you to build a loom. I'm sure Duncan would be able to recall what the connectors are.
Paul

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 17:53 #8 

raistlin
A cursory scan of the RAVE diagram doesn't show any immediately obvious difficulties.
Paul

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 17:55 #9 

raistlin
That other connector looks very much like a multi ISO block for a head unit BTW. Somewhat sparsely populated though :)
Paul

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 17:57 #10 

DaveyC
Hi Paul,

That's sounding more promising already. I have the ECU, master switch and steering wheel controls. i had no idea i needed switches for the brake and clutch though...... Are these easy the fit / get hold of?

Regards,

Dave

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 18:05 #11 

DaveyC
I'll bring what I have to the Nano on Sunday. Hopefully I can get a few pointers..... I am a total numpty when it comes to electrics (once you get beyond plugging stuff in).

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 18:39 #12 

raistlin
There is a securing bracket as far as I can remember, as part of the pedal assembly, for the clutch switch and I'm sure the brake switch connection is the same as the brake light switch.
Paul

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 18:50 #13 

DaveyC
Looks like trip to scrappy and not been to one for about 15 years! Not looking forward to that.......

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 18:54 #14 

Duncan
Brake and clutch switches. You will have a brake switch, but may need to swap it for a different one. You are unlikely to have a clutch switch, but the good news is, if you need to swap the brake switch, the old one can be moved to the clutch pedal. One is white, one black, and I can never remember which is which.

From memory they are both 3 pin MQS (quadlock) but may have different colour housings.

Do you have any switches above the ashtray: heated seats, rear blind, traction? If not the chances are the wires if present will be well hidden. The cigar lighter connector is a pig, but only because you can't reach it. You need to pull the housing, not the wires, and it will come off very easily. A pair of long nose pliers does the trick.

My 2004 75 connie SE diesel had all of the wiring and was a plug in job, even had the right brake switch being an auto. My 2000 V6 had no wires at all, and some of the V6 cruise is in the engine compartment, therefore a total pig.

I have a clutch switch somewhere that Les (Gren24) donated for just such an occasion, but if you need a new brake switch it's not much help to you anyway! I just need to find which box / bag it got put in at the Nano.

EDIT: oh and Paul is spot on. It's the 20 way ISO, only used for certain radios. The two wires are connected to the steering remotes.

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 19:13 #15 

DaveyC
Thanks for the info Duncan. Paul had PM'd me the wiring diagram but as I said to him in my reply, I probably have more chance of becoming Pope than understanding / getting this done. Il bring my bag of bits to the Nano but I think its probably a step too far for me.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted 27 Aug 2013, 19:41 #16 

DaveyC
After taking the console apart and removing the glove box.......

I have these pics and it seems I have nothing????

Lots of pics. Hopefully someome can spot something I have missed.

Can anyone spot anything I have missed?????

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 11:17 #17 

Duncan
I can see a wire that is a bit off, though nothing to do with cruise. There's a big brown wire, attached to the car wiring with a bodgelock, sorry scotchlock. Do you have a towbar fitted perhaps? Daft thing is, that wire is in the same picture as the feed provided for adding towing electrics, the orange wire with the metal end on it!

Can't see any evidence of cruise wiring either. Not even the ECU connector near the fusebox though there is something tucked down the back of the fusebox that looks vaguely but not properly like the ECU connector. Looks more like something wrapped in black tape, actually.

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 19:59 #18 

DaveyC
Hi Duncan,

There was a tow bar on the car when I had it. I took the tow bar off but left the electrics in situ. The rear towing sockets are bolted up underneath the back bumper.

I did notice the nasty scotch lock and the odd orange wire but its the first time I have ever looked in that part of the car.

I'll have a look behind the fuse box tomorrow to see if that is the cruise ECU connector but its not looking promising.......

Thanks,

Dave

Posted 28 Aug 2013, 20:40 #19 

DaveyC
Well, its another day and I thought I would give things another go. Arctic spotted something promising behind the fuse box in one of my earlier pics.

Here it is (turns out to be a bit of trim to protect a sharp edge unfortunately).

I also found on the far left of the glove box another bundle of taped up wires and there were connectors in that one (just not the ones I was looking for!) Does anyone know what this cream one is for? There is also a similar one in blue.

Confused of Dudley.........

Posted 29 Aug 2013, 08:45 #20