Dash Panel Removal by Chartermark

Chartermark
I purchased a 'special edition' walnut dash from Lakeland minis last December and the passenger air vent panel (next to door) started to discolour after a few months.

Currently it's a sort of faint vermilion, with a 'bloom' over the surface blurring the grain.

Fortunately it doesn't appear contagious, but I need to replace it, with the original panel.

Can anyone advise me how the walnut dash panels come away please? From the rear of my old plate I see there are 3 threaded extrusions, are the screws accessible by removing the recessed air vent itself?

If so does this just 'ping' off?

Posted 23 Aug 2012, 15:37 #1 

chris@southlakes
(Trader)
Hi
This is Chris from South Lakes Minis. Have just seen this on a feed on facebook. I am sorry to hear that theres an issue with the dash pice? Can you send it back to me at the shop so we can take a look at it? I will happily replace it for you. You can ring me on 01229 836638
Thanks
Chris

We don't just look after Mini's :)

Posted 23 Aug 2012, 15:49 #2 

Chartermark
Thanks Chris,

Thanks for the offer

It's something thats happened so gradually that it was only after having not used the car for about 6 weeks and then in really bright sunlight that my passenger bought it to my attention. To be honest I thought it would polish up, but unfortunately not. I've not put anything on it, except a micro duster and a damp cloth since fitting so it's got me stumped.

When I get it off I'll send it to you, perhaps it can be restored with the right solvent w.h.y. - I don't want to risk spoiling it.

Much appreciated - Martin

Posted 23 Aug 2012, 15:57 #3 

chris@southlakes
(Trader)
No worries Martin, really strange because they have been sitting in our warehouse for some time without any issue at all. If its got a "bloom" it might be some moisture behind something, but can't think what? In any event mate if we have sent anything that has an issue or developed one, then always come back to us and we would be most willing to help.
Thanks
Chris

We don't just look after Mini's :)

Posted 23 Aug 2012, 16:03 #4 

Zeb
If it is a real walnut piece that is laminated on top of a metal 'sub-structure' then what can happen is that a mixture of the hot sun and the cold nights / condensation appears to affect the wood colour beneath the lacquer. Well documented with other members but only seems to happen on some not all of these dashes..

Posted 23 Aug 2012, 17:07 #5 

Chartermark
Thanks Carl,

It is of the 'real wood' variety and it's the only one I've seen go this way. That said, I have been advised of it's occurrence in examples within breakers yards. My 75 is free of moisture and condensation, but I do tend to run with the air con almost permanently on.

Posted 23 Aug 2012, 18:48 #6