Cruise control power by raistlin

raistlin
Does anybody know what, cosmically speaking, would be the problem with removing the centre console power switch and leaving the cruise control permanently powered?

I've read in the handbook that it MUST be switched off when not in use but I'm wondering why?

Any views please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Jun 2014, 16:35 #1 

Duncan
I think the off switch is so there's no danger of you accidentally knocking the steering wheel switches and switching the system on. However I know of other brands where you can leave it permanently switched on. Probably the same reasoning in the handbook warning.

Posted 15 Jun 2014, 15:26 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Duncan
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Jun 2014, 16:15 #3 

PaulT
With auto 75s and ZTs with the cruise engaged I am led to believe that it does not lock in top gear.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Jun 2014, 18:30 #4 

Duncan
PaulT wrote:With auto 75s and ZTs with the cruise engaged I am led to believe that it does not lock in top gear.

I think it does go into lockup, but at a higher speed than with cruise not engaged. I don't know for sure, or how much above the 50MPH it does it.

Posted 15 Jun 2014, 19:12 #5 

Dave
I recall a debate on another Rover/MG forum (!) a while back when someone was asking if it would be possible to have the cruise permanently available. I also recall that it got a little heated! ;)

Duncan wrote:I think the off switch is so there's no danger of you accidentally knocking the steering wheel switches and switching the system on. However I know of other brands where you can leave it permanently switched on. Probably the same reasoning in the handbook warning.

This, I think, was cited as the reasoning against it. Someone said something along the lines of the steering wheel switches might be knocked when cornering. Logically though, they might also be knocked after you have engaged the system, so it shouldn't really matter! Also, as Duncan rightly says, other manufacturers don't use a separate on/off control, for example our Ssangyong Rexton. In that, you have three options for initial speed setting (from a fresh ignition on scenario), which are push up, push down, or push away. To switch it off (physically, as opposed to braking etc), you pull it towards you. After an initial speed has been selected, pushing up speeds the car up, pushing down slows it down, and (assuming that it has had one disengagement) pushing away is resume. Nice and simple, and I've never yet accidentally engaged it! :)

Posted 21 Jun 2014, 11:15 #6 

PaulT
Duncan with mine at the slightest incline the box changes down from top gear with cruise selected but does not with it deselected.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 21 Jun 2014, 20:23 #7 

Duncan
PaulT wrote:Duncan with mine at the slightest incline the box changes down from top gear with cruise selected but does not with it deselected.

Yes, the shift pattern is altered, but lockup doesn't mean its locked in top gear. So it is probably still going into lockup, but dropping out more readily.

Posted 23 Jun 2014, 17:28 #8