Crankshaft pulley bolt - diesel by PaulT

PaulT
Trying to undo mine. Air wrench not doing anything. Engine turns clockwise (viewed from pulley so tried using the starter motor no joy.

Anyone know if it is a normal bolt - i.e. tighten clockwise undo anti clockwise,
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 24 Jul 2015, 17:44 #1 

karaev
It's a normal bolt sir....but it's god damn tight....
I've used a flame torch to help me undo the bolt and two of us were pulling the breaker bar....
Good luck sir......u gonna need it

Posted 26 Sep 2015, 13:22 #2 

humphshumphs
When I had mine replaced a few weeks ago, the garage had to heat it up and then using a 3/4" very powerful air wrench managed to undo it (the wrench was about 1400nm I believe!)
Richard

Posted 26 Sep 2015, 13:51 #3 

PaulT
Thanks for that.

I was in France at the time and my air wrench nor my 1/2" breaker bar was bending near the point of snapping. Was not keen on a flame due to the oil seal. Stuck the wheel back on and drove it to a local garage who managed to get it off and fitted the new one along with a new a/c belt (I had fitted the new alternator belt) and charged me 40 euros - £28.

They did comment that it was extremely tight.
Paul

Posted 26 Sep 2015, 16:55 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Paul.
I will be doing my soon I have heard it can be done by removing the starter motor and using the flywheel to wedge it :shock: as removing the starter motor is a task in it's self, you really need the crank holding tool which I have managed to purchase one at a good price, the tool is a must but costly if you have to by from source £120 plus.

You even then need a good breaker bar and some steel tube as an extension so I am lead to believe, also only fit the Corteco pulley as others fail quite quickly, also a new bolt must be used each time Arctic

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 28 Sep 2015, 05:56 #5 

PaulT
There are two notches on the pulley and these enable a bar to be used from the notch to the chassis rail to stop the crank turning. On my car oval trunking that went across the top starter motor bolt was so tight it would have been a major job to get to the bolt. Also, would not have been happy about using the starter ring to stop the crank turning due to the tightness of the bolt in case it was damaged turning the job in to an even bigger one. As for a breaker bar, would suggest at least a 3/4" one......but there again some bolts might not be as tight as others, can imagine the manical look on a BMW employees face as every so often they over-tighten the bolt thinking 'you wait until you want to undo it'.

There again, an extremely powerful air impact wrench is probably the way to go - unfortunately, mine was not.
Paul

Posted 28 Sep 2015, 09:38 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Note the 100Nm in the first photo the bolts as to be done in segments of 60+60+30 to make sure it as been tightened properly, hopefully will be useful to someone to know that Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 28 Sep 2015, 13:47 #7