Coolant Change / Flush CDTi - Advice Please by DaveyC

DaveyC
Since having my CDTi I have not really paid much attention to the coolant, other than the level (which has never changed).

I had a good look at it the other day when I sucked some out of the header tank with a very large syringe. In short it looks awful! Its like a brownish black colour.

I therefore want to drain the system, flush it through (preferably with a hose) and re-fill with a proper coolant mix.

What I need to know is, what's the best way to drain the coolant system (as in least effort / least mess).

And... Can i flush it with a hose pipe and if so through which pipe / how?

When I do mine I'll do a how to (possibly a vid...).

Cheers,

Dave :D

Posted 04 Sep 2013, 10:10 #1 

kandyman
Coolant replacement
The engine coolant (anti-freeze and water solution) needs to be replaced every four years regardless of the distance the car has travelled. Your Rover dealer will replace the coolant at the scheduled oil service or inspection nearest to the conclusion of each four year period, to avoid the need for an additional dealer visit.
Note that coolant replacement will be an additional cost..

--------------

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378399316.005487.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 16:42 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Don't forget, the system should be vacuum filled. This is one method:-

vacuum-fill-coolant-with-pela.html

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 17:45 #3 

raistlin
Mick wrote:Don't forget, the system should be vacuum filled. This is one method:-

vacuum-fill-coolant-with-pela.html

This is the method I used. It is very effective and very easy to do.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 17:49 #4 

DaveyC
I didn't vac fill as I have never done this on any other car and I don't have the kit. Just been for a long drive to the corner shop (10 miles - went the long way round LOL). Monitored the temp on OBD (On Board Diagnostics) reader and all working fine. Heater is working too, so all good :-)

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 18:49 #5 

raistlin
DaveyC wrote:I didn't vac fill as I have never done this on any other car and I don't have the kit. Just been for a long drive to the corner shop (10 miles - went the long way round LOL). Monitored the temp on OBD reader and all working fine. Heater is working too, so all good :-)

If you need to borrow the kit (all pipes etc. included) at a later date you are welcome to use mine :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 19:19 #6 

DaveyC
raistlin wrote:
DaveyC wrote:I didn't vac fill as I have never done this on any other car and I don't have the kit. Just been for a long drive to the corner shop (10 miles - went the long way round LOL). Monitored the temp on OBD reader and all working fine. Heater is working too, so all good :-)

If you need to borrow the kit (all pipes etc. included) at a later date you are welcome to use mine :)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the offer, its much appreciated. I have a Pela pump, so I suppose I could get the bits for vac filling cheap off Ebay?

Seems to be Ok at the moment though. :-)

Thanks,

Dave

Posted 05 Sep 2013, 21:12 #7