Community members' opinions please by raistlin

raistlin
Thanks to the generosity of Takestock (Dave), the community now has a VIS (Variable Intake System) motor tester.

I seem to have become custodian, probably because of the fact that I go to all the West Midlands nano-meets, where it will be in demand :)

After the nano-meet on 22nd August, the VIS motor tester will be available for any community meet or to any community member, free of charge, other than the cost of postage, which I estimate to be slightly less than £3 for first class recorded delivery.

Here is where I'd be grateful to community members for their opinions please.

Most of our members, at the moment, are well known and established in the 75/ZT world. However, we all have to start somewhere and I'd be a little concerned about sending the VIS motor tester off to somebody who has just joined the community. NOT because of any elitist, 'get some time in' attitude because this community doesn't work like that.

No, my concern is purely the fact that I'd like to be assured of the VIS motor tester's safe return and the way to do that is what I'd very much value your opinion on please.

Taking a deposit is a nightmare and also a costly exercise when using Paypal and it would discriminate against new members.

Recommendation by a long-standing member of the community is good, IF a new member happens to know somebody in that category.

Requirement for having made an arbitrary number of posts is, in my view, utterly divisive.

So you see my problem, I hope. Or maybe there isn't a problem, other than in my perception.

Any ideas please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 18:31 #1 

Last edited by raistlin on 08 Aug 2010, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
In the first instance I would speak with JDC who had been custodian of the owners club device until recently. He has a couple of years of experience in these matters.

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 18:41 #2 

takestock
Not An Idea but more of an observation Paul, contact by telephone would give you an insight into the person wanting the tester, usually having a conversation with a person is a good pointer.

recommendation by another is a good idea.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 18:47 #3 

raistlin
takestock wrote:recommendation by another is a good idea.

I've edited my post above Dave, to substitute recommendation in place of sponsorship :), a much better word.
Paul

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 19:10 #4 

starbug2
i guess this for the v6's ? so does it require knowledge to use it ? which may also be a factor in this whether or not the person who uses it is a good soul ,do they have the knowledge to use it and do no harm to anything :gmc: :panic: ? . just a thought ...

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 19:59 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Another option maybe if possible to send to an established member in the area and then the two members meet? This would only work on the willingness of other members though.

I do have one still in the Solihull/Birmingham area for those after one, although I won't post mine, which may or may not help matters! :roll: :em:

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 20:08 #6 

James.uk
I don't think posting anything to a "stranger" is a good idea, in fact i think if they want to use it then they must get orf their backside and attend a meeting in order to do so. If they can't be bothered to do that, then they deserve what they get. Umm ..... which is nothing innit? lol.. :lol: :thumbsup:

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 20:59 #7 

MrB
I would have thought the best idea would be to make it available at any Community meet.

That way you can be sure established members of the community will be there, that it will be used correctly and that it will be returned at the end of the meeting.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 22:03 #8 

raistlin
MrB wrote:I would have thought the best idea would be to make it available at any Community meet.

That way you can be sure established members of the community will be there, that it will be used correctly and that it will be returned at the end of the meeting.

Chris

I see your point Chris, but 'another place' has had a postal service running successfully, albeit only for subscribed members, which, I suppose, gives an indication.

It will be interesting to see what JDC has to say when he returns.
Paul

Posted 08 Aug 2010, 22:07 #9 

mg zt
Taking a deposit via Paypal doesn't have to be a nightmare, if each recipient make's say a £50 deposit payment via Paypal but make sure the payment is made as a GIFT then no charges would be incured by either party.
Then postage, both ways, could be paid out of the deposit and the remainder would be refunded once the tester is received back in good condition.
So if the postage is £3 each way total of £6 the recipient would get a refund of £44.
Just a thought as it is a valuable piece of equipment.

Posted 10 Aug 2010, 20:50 #10 

takestock
If paid as a gift, the person sending the cash gets stuck with the charges, trust me, i know :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 10 Aug 2010, 20:52 #11 

mg zt
takestock wrote:If paid as a gift, the person sending the cash gets stuck with the charges, trust me, i know :(

Oh right but the fees on £6 would still make it worth while surely, ok initailly they will have to pay the full fee for the £50 deposit but when the remainder is refunded the fees are refunded also.

If the fees amount to an extra £1 then i dont think £7 is a lot to pay for this valuable piece of equipment :confused:

Posted 10 Aug 2010, 20:56 #12 

mg zt
I do trust you Dave :mrgreen: but I thought I would check this out because I have made payments as a gift and not been charged a fee, this Paypal help page explains

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main. ... tance=9016

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 10:43 #13 

takestock
mg zt wrote:I do trust you Dave :mrgreen: but I thought I would check this out because I have made payments as a gift and not been charged a fee, this Paypal help page explains

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main. ... tance=9016

Right, if you have a balance in your paypal account it suggests that if you send a gift you will not be charged. This maybe correct as I never have any balance in my account :em: . It goes on to say that there will be a charge if you use any debit or credit card linked to your paypal account. in effect they have to make there money from somewhere extortionate as it is.

Still, thanks for that, it may be a way to avoid fees in some instances :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 12:01 #14 

mg zt
The way i read it is if you have a balance in your paypal account OR your paypal account is linked directly to your bank account then there are no fee's charged by making payment as a gift BUT if you decide to change your payment options on your paypal and pay using a debit or credit card then a fee will be charged.

I mostly have a £0.00 balance in my paypal account but my online payments are made directly through my bank account and i haven't been charged any fee's by sending as a gift.

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 16:29 #15 

takestock
Again you may be correct as I won't give the thiefing beggars access to my bank account :D

Does beg the question though, if everybody did this then they wouldn't make any money ?

Ah well, learn something new everyday :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 16:49 #16 

Mike
In the early days, and if we have the geographical coverage then I'd favour a 'new' member picking it up from one of us established types. Certainly I'd be happy to receive and pass on if someone new was prepared to travel. If necessary then I can help them test on the spot which adds more security.

Seems fairly simple and secure, and a good way to sell the community.

hth

Mike

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 17:36 #17 

Bartonrover
takestock wrote:
Ah well, learn something new everyday :)

Just by the bye Dave, I love your avatar/signature. That front grille is how it should have been!

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 17:53 #18