Clutch,replacement parts by shy talk

shy talk
The clutch on my Rover75 tourer has been playing up,so I bled the hydraulic system,the clutch was much better, this lasted for about 5000 miles. Now I am back where I was,so I bled the system again, no improvement.The mechanic who works on my car has told me I need a new clutch.He has given me a couple
of prices, "ie"clutch & hydraulics £425-00. If he finds that the flywheel needs replacing the price for clutch & hydraulics & flywheel will be £710-00. Are these prices reasonable. the clutch was replaced in 2007, at 94,258 miles,today the mileage is 117,335 miles. Surely the clutch should last longer than 23,000 miles. thankyou Bill

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 12:32 #1 

Zeb
Yes the slave and master SHOULD last longer than that BUT quite often owners will change the slave and not the master to save money... nearly did this myself but it would have been a false economy. This might be why t has not lasted? Price I paid for hydraulics was about £220 clutch is about £60 so that price seems a bit steep...don't know about fly wheels, I left mine well alone!

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 12:52 #2 

PaulT
Is it steep or is it £425 fitted?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 14:18 #3 

Zeb
PaulT wrote:Is it steep or is it £425 fitted?

Good point! If fitted that isn't so bad at all!

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 14:53 #4 

shy talk
All the prices that are quoted are fitted by the mechanic, I do not have the nessecary skill to work
on my own car. Thankyou for the replies, please keep them coming. Bill

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 16:29 #5 

Colvert
If it has only done 23.000 miles and there is a very good chance the slave cylinder was replaced at the same time then it could just be the master cylinder is the culprit. It might be worth changing just that to start with and not spend a lot of money on something that might be OK.

Colvert.

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 19:24 #6 

MrB
It could be that the flywheel should have been changed last time and that is what has caused the premature failing of the new clutch?

To be honest the prices quoted seem fair for fitted parts.

Until your mechanic has pulled it all apart it will be difficult to tell what exactly it needs.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 07 Jun 2011, 20:13 #7 

Justme
Hi I also have been having problems with my clutch and brought it to ej motors who are recommended on here and was told I needed a new master cylinder. I have ordered the cylinder and it has just arrived but since ordering I have bled the system and the clutch is alot better.

Should I just go ahead an get the master replaced as I have it now or return it and see how long I get with the bleeding or will it fail again soon if I do not replace it.

Thanks for all advice as this is my first rover and as I like the car want to keep in going as the previous owner obviously didn't maintain the car at all.

Posted 12 Jun 2011, 12:48 #8 

PaulT
Firstly, is it returnable. Personally, I would fit it if I had it.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Jun 2011, 18:55 #9 

Justme
It is returnable but am thinking along the same lines as you to fit it as I will probably need to fit one at some time

Posted 12 Jun 2011, 19:09 #10 

Duncan
You have to ask, why it needed bleeding in the first place. Something is on it's way out if air has got in or fluid has got out.

Posted 12 Jun 2011, 20:32 #11 

Justme
Thanks for the replies, I will definitely be getting the master cylinder fitted as stated that something will be on it's way out so I would be better doing it now rather than later.

Posted 12 Jun 2011, 22:07 #12 

Justme
The car had been booked in on Wednesday for the master cylinder to be replaced, the mechanic has told me it can take a few hrs and can have problems when bleeding it. I thought the master cylinder came as a closed system therefore didn't need bled on fitting ? Am I wrong and is there serious problems when doing this as in will some other part fail and need replaced ?

Posted 13 Jun 2011, 12:15 #13 

Zeb
Doesn't need bleeding but probably will take a couple of hours to fit!

Posted 13 Jun 2011, 13:23 #14 

Justme
Looks like I will have to get the car over as early as possible as I am hoping to get the speedo sensor fitted and a full service done also

Posted 13 Jun 2011, 21:30 #15 

Zeb
There is no risk that fitting the new master will create any other problems.

Posted 13 Jun 2011, 22:10 #16 

Justme
Cheers guys you have put my mind at ease and come wed I the mechanic says it needs bled I now know it doesn't and can say so. Thanks will update results

Posted 13 Jun 2011, 23:25 #17 

Arctic
(Trader)
Justme wrote:Cheers guys you have put my mind at ease and come wed I the mechanic says it needs bled I now know it doesn't and can say so. Thanks will update results

Hi Should'nt a/or the mechanic knows this, :confused: i would rather someone who is going to work on my car know these sort of things hope it all works out ok, for you. i am thinking of doing this mod in the near future.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=83855
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 14 Jun 2011, 19:02 #18 

Justme
Arctic wrote:
Justme wrote:Cheers guys you have put my mind at ease and come wed I the mechanic says it needs bled I now know it doesn't and can say so. Thanks will update results

Hi Should'nt a/or the mechanic knows this, :confused: i would rather someone who is going to work on my car know these sort of things hope it all works out ok, for you. i am thinking of doing this mod in the near future.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=83855

It is an xpart mechanic that is doing the work and is ex dealer trained so hoping that's the best person to get it done by. That mod looks interesting an if more people do it and get good results I would be very tempted.

Posted 14 Jun 2011, 22:33 #19 

Justme
Got the master cylinder fitted today and the Clutch seems alot better although when coming to a rolling stop and putting the car in first gear there is still a crunch at times but all other gears are fine, I have checked other posts on this and have seen people advise that it is due the the synchromesh gear box that the first gear is only for driving off from a stand still ?

Also go the abs sensor fitted so now have the speedo working and the abs light out, got the filter in the water jet pump cleaned so now have working jets also although one is still quite weak.

Next will be the service as there was no time for it today. Now found that I need two front tyres and will need new brake pads soon.

Posted 15 Jun 2011, 17:22 #20