Clutch master / slave? by Zeb

Zeb
Another question....the slave, having cooked itself, has emptied its fluid all over the clutch plates...BUT what about the fluid in the master cylinder? Will this have drained away also or are the two systems' fluids kept separate? Ta muchly.. :D

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 21:18 #1 

Duncan
Zeb wrote:Another question....the slave, having cooked itself, has emptied its fluid all over the clutch plates...BUT what about the fluid in the master cylinder? Will this have drained away also or are the two systems' fluids kept separate? Ta muchly.. :D

No, it's a single system.

I would make sure you top up the master, and maybe bleed the system.

There's an awful lot of grey muck in the master if mines anything to go by. I know funds are tight, but I'd replace the master while you are at it.

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 21:34 #2 

Zeb
Duncan wrote:
Zeb wrote:Another question....the slave, having cooked itself, has emptied its fluid all over the clutch plates...BUT what about the fluid in the master cylinder? Will this have drained away also or are the two systems' fluids kept separate? Ta muchly.. :D

No, it's a single system.

I would make sure you top up the master, and maybe bleed the system.

There's an awful lot of grey muck in the master if mines anything to go by. I know funds are tight, but I'd replace the master while you are at it.

I had a feeling you'd say that Duncan... :(
I will have a look around and see what I could get one for..... :hissyfit:

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 21:46 #3 

MrB
Unfortunately master cylinders are not cheap, and you can't use a Land Rover one as they're different.

I would make sure you get an LUK one, if funds allow, as the cheaper stuff doesn't seem to last long.

Unless you're just planning on fixing it and moving it on?
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 29 Mar 2011, 08:57 #4 

Zeb
MrB wrote:Unfortunately master cylinders are not cheap, and you can't use a Land Rover one as they're different.

I would make sure you get an LUK one, if funds allow, as the cheaper stuff doesn't seem to last long.

Unless you're just planning on fixing it and moving it on?

She is staying after all this work!

I have sourced a genuine MG Rover one now off ebay...ridiculous price for what is little more than a pipe and a plastic water pistol! :evil:

Took the old one out today...after ordering the new one...the fluid was black and full of metal filings... :shock:

Good call Duncan! :thumbsup:

Posted 29 Mar 2011, 21:58 #5 

Duncan
You know, I'm not sure they are bits of metal as there's little or no metal in the system.

I took the master apart. The main seal is a grey plastic thing. From what I could tell, the main body is glass filled plastic. So my theory is all those grey bits are worn off the master cylinder seal.

Posted 30 Mar 2011, 07:05 #6 

Zeb
Duncan wrote:You know, I'm not sure they are bits of metal as there's little or no metal in the system.

I took the master apart. The main seal is a grey plastic thing. From what I could tell, the main body is glass filled plastic. So my theory is all those grey bits are worn off the master cylinder seal.

Fair enough! It sure doesn't look nice in there either way!

New one arrived this morning so I now have a beautifully smooth, firm, light clutch action....very pleased so far! :thumbsup:

Posted 31 Mar 2011, 20:05 #7 

Duncan
Now, are you going to do all the 'other' jobs I did while I was doing the clutch?

Changed the plugs as the same panel needs to come out to fit the master.
New rack, wishbones and track ends? Oh, you didn't take the subframe out like I did.
New aircon compressor and condensor.
Clean out the heater matrix, as the rad was off to do the aircon.

and so on.

Seriously though, it's a good feeling of achievement, and having replaced both cyclinders you should get a lot of life out of it yet.

Posted 31 Mar 2011, 20:50 #8 

Zeb
Duncan wrote:Now, are you going to do all the 'other' jobs I did while I was doing the clutch?

Changed the plugs as the same panel needs to come out to fit the master.
New rack, wishbones and track ends? Oh, you didn't take the subframe out like I did.
New aircon compressor and condensor.
Clean out the heater matrix, as the rad was off to do the aircon.

and so on.

Seriously though, it's a good feeling of achievement, and having replaced both cyclinders you should get a lot of life out of it yet.

Errrmm...I didn't take out any panel to fit the master cylinder?????? :confused:

Rack, wishbones and track ends all in good condition...
Aircon and compressor same...
Thought about cleaning out heater matrix....but want her back on the road...and summer is coming... :thumbsup:

Still some little jobs to do for the MOT but none that involve money thank goodness!

Posted 31 Mar 2011, 21:27 #9