Cleaning metal parts by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
I have obtained the parts to upgrade my horn to the twin system. The two metal brackets are rusting under the original black paint.

What is the best way to remove the old paint and rust?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 19 Jan 2013, 19:23 #1 

Duncan
Grit blasting is the best way, if you can find someone with a blasting cabinet. If not then clean as much off as you can with a wire brush and use hammerite which sticks well to rust. If you still want to do a proper job without access to a blasting cabinet, a dremel like tool with a sanding drum will do it, if take some time.

Posted 20 Jan 2013, 10:23 #2 

Mad-Monkey
Nitromors will shift the paint and a wheel based acid cleaner will shift the rust. A quick polish with a dremel to remove the tarnish and you can repaint them.

Takes longer than grit blasting but less effort than solely doing it with a wire brush or just a dremel. You can leave the pieces to soak and the rust and paint will simply wipe off.

Posted 20 Jan 2013, 11:27 #3 

ceedy
Lots of different and some strange ways on the Web for removing rust ... electrolysis, coca cola, molasses ??

But paint off first , blowlamp , wirebrush or stripper as David says

C.
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 20 Jan 2013, 11:56 #4 

Bermudan 75
Thanks chaps, I have put them in the coal fire until they have been glowing red but still some of the paint remains.

Posted 20 Jan 2013, 12:02 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Wire brush the last few bits off then. Unless you have stripper. The stripper will save you the elbow grease!

Posted 20 Jan 2013, 12:08 #6