Chrome Vents by phenonix (Page 1 of 2)

phenonix
Had a real wood dash lying around that i was meant to put in ages ago, thought i'd play around with it before i did.

Whatyathink?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 11:09 #1 

Chartermark
Well done - very retro, almost art deco - I like it!

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 18:50 #2 

MrB
Like the look of that a lot.

Something else fr me to contemplate.....
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 20:31 #3 

James.uk
Looks very nice, I'd like to see it in situ.. :)

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 20:36 #4 

SpongeBob
Oohh. now those I like! :) I've always thought the vents would like nice in chrome :thumbsup: :) How did you go about plating them?

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 20:47 #5 

phenonix
I had to take the whole lot apart and used chrome vinyl, its for outdoor signage use so will not tarnish.
I had sent off for a quote to see how much they would be to be actually chromed, still waiting for a reply.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 21:20 #6 

raistlin
Oooh, that looks nice Joe :D

I'm thinking VeeKay might benefit from that. How difficult is it to do?

As you know, I'm OK with simple things like powerfolds and ultimate remotes but that looks like proper work :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 21:27 #7 

Dave
Sorry, not doing it for me..... (although I respect that it may for others)

Bought some chrome heater controls for Gill's MX5 and they just didn't work, so sold them on.

Horses for courses, but best of British to you!

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 21:32 #8 

phenonix
Lot of work to take apart and do each panel individuallly, i had actually done it before so this is my second time so i was quicker doing it, maybe took 4 hours total.
What i learnt was where the flap go into the vent must be left unchromed (above pic is from previous attempt) the reason for this is when you move the vent the chrome puckered up, i was trying to get the chrome going to the edge but better to leave the stems black plastic, and it still looks good.
1 sheet was enough for 2 dash's if not 3.
If you've taken your dash off before then it'll be all easy.
Dont break any stems, cut out templates, two x two vents are the same size, not nessacary to cover vent "totally" as some of it is in the recess of the vent, cannot see it,and because the flaps open close only one way ensure the top part that you chrome if perfect as you do not see the underside, a few other tips, just ask if you start it.

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 21:40 #9 

phenonix
In situ

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 21:55 #10 

starbug2
i like it :cheers:

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 08:06 #11 

Cowley_MOA
They do look very good! Personally I am not a fan of the extra stick on wood and chrome but that looks really well done, almost as if Rover did it themselves. :thumbsup:
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 14:12 #12 

phenonix
I'm not a fan of the stick on stuff either so i have asked for a quote for real chrome, but when i saw the result with this stick on chrome was pleasantly surprised myself.

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 21:09 #13 

phenonix
just got a quote for the chrome flaps, $22.00 each :shock:
$484.00 for the lot!!
all labour they said....think i'll stick to the vinyl ;)

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 08:34 #14 

Mad-Monkey
I looked into having them cast in aluminium with a brushed finish. Sadly no one wanted to take on the job as it was such a small production run. They look nice, have you tried doing the entire vent in the vinyl, heat it gently and it will stretch round the curves.

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 08:54 #15 

phenonix
hhhmm, might give that a try, but there are vertical flaps in there also, might scrape the chrome when moved, thinking about lacquering the vinyl so its all sealed

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 09:26 #16 

phenonix
added trim to inside of vent, bit of a kink, but just playing around with it.

Posted 29 Sep 2010, 03:46 #17 

RRobson
i think youve done a pretty good job ;)
but i am tempted to say (even though youve put all that hard work in) keep the vent flaps black, and leave the chrome stips round the edges (like around the dials on the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German))) think that would finish the dash off. dont think o would do it on mine though, all those extra curved edges are going to catch a lot more sun (not that we get any anyway :D )
very well done anyway :thumbsup:
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 29 Sep 2010, 21:23 #18 

phenonix
Comments taken onboard, though i've got tinted windows :)
already had done what you suggested, but just going one step further, dash is still sitting on my desk so not installed yet, it'll be a while before i put it in, so plenty of time to play with it, pass's the time and i do it watching tv :D

Posted 29 Sep 2010, 21:28 #19 

RRobson
fair play ;) it is nice to have a little project on going though, i mis my 75 coz theres nothing to do on my new car :cry: great on petrol though :D
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 29 Sep 2010, 21:54 #20