Chrome grille questions by raistlin

raistlin
When I was fitting my chrome grille this morning I noticed that it didn't have the bonnet opening lever guide.

It was clear that there never had been one fitted because the lugs on the grille which are melted to hold the guide in place were pristine.

I was just wondering whether the guide was an afterthought and if so, what was the problem which made it necessary?

Any info please?

Also, what is the best way to polish tarnish off the chrome please? The inner edges of the vanes seem to have some muck on them which wasn't susceptible to the soap and water I tried, not wanting to try anything more aggressive without guidance.

I know this second question should be elsewhere but I thought to save the number of posts :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Oct 2013, 13:18 #1 

Duncan
The guide wasn't needed after project drive, Mk1s as far as I know. I understand they had the same secondary latch as the ZTs and the Mk2's. I may be wrong, of course!

Posted 19 Oct 2013, 13:23 #2 

raistlin
The chrome grille came off a really early model though Duncan and, although the fixing lugs were there, for some reason the guide wasn't fitted.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Oct 2013, 13:26 #3 

Chuckles
I had the same problem. When the engine is warm, it is possible to very slightly "bend" the lever so it pops out between vanes. I tend to swap back to the none chrome grill with the guides in the winter, as, yes, they do tarnish.

Same goes for the chrome 'Y' spoke wheels, they are only for summer use, or special occaisions when its dry!

I am just lazy ..... spot cleaning is a summer "I have nothing else to do" time job!
Chuck; Dorset UK.
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent! I now have its Granddad ... A 1963 P5 Coupe'

Posted 19 Oct 2013, 16:45 #4 

Duncan
I'll have to have a look at mine sometime then. I don't remember whether the guide was there or not.

Posted 19 Oct 2013, 19:15 #5 

zojosc
I have a full chrome grill and just use a little T-Cut to clean the grime from between the slats, a coating of car polish helps to give it a coating.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 20 Oct 2013, 05:40 #6