'Check Engine' warning light by scooterchick (Page 1 of 2)

scooterchick
What does this mean? Should I be worried? 3 times it's flashed at me today.

Posted 06 May 2012, 19:04 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
No idea.
Only if it comes on permanently could there be a problem requiring investigation.

Someone who knows better will be along.

Posted 06 May 2012, 19:07 #2 

Zeb
Momentary flashes? And were you at a standstill when it happened?

Posted 06 May 2012, 19:08 #3 

scooterchick
Yes, momentary Zeb, blink and you'd miss it but I was def moving at the time.

Posted 06 May 2012, 19:10 #4 

Zeb
Ok, so not rev related then...eg. tick over too low..

Not happening at the smae moment as changing gear? Again, am thinking revs...but seems unlikely.

Posted 06 May 2012, 19:12 #5 

scooterchick
Hmmm could be when changing gear, once was in a low gear and the other time was going downhill so I didn't have my foot on the accelerator. So if we assume it's low revs, what does that mean?

Posted 06 May 2012, 19:28 #6 

Zeb
Tickover too low...but only a perhaps....?

Posted 06 May 2012, 20:29 #7 

Zeb
My feelling is that it is nowt to worry about if it isn't low tick over..could just be a 'glitch'...if it does it some more / more often / for longer then summat may well be up.

Posted 06 May 2012, 20:34 #8 

calibrax
Probably a bit of moisture in a plug connection, with all the damp weather we've had.

Same thing happened to me, and it was the under-bonnet fuel pump connection that was the problem, I found that out by jiggling wires while a mate looked for the light coming on. Sprayed a bit of WD40 and the problem went away.
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 06 May 2012, 20:35 #9 

kandyman
Didn't Ken have a problem with the light coming on intermittently and that was traced back to a loose connector ?

Posted 06 May 2012, 20:46 #10 

scooterchick
So I can safely ignore it unless it keeps coming on? That was my plan too.

Posted 06 May 2012, 21:35 #11 

Mintman
I would organize a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session in order to read out the fault memory

Posted 07 May 2012, 10:19 #12 

PaulT
Jiggle the wires on the fuel filter to ensure a good connection
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 May 2012, 13:17 #13 

fireblade
My check engine light came on the other night on the way home from work, the following morning the car wouldnt start, the battery had decided it didnt want to play anymore!!

So I replaced the battery, But! The check engine light is still on.

How do I get this annoying little light to go out? Anyone have any ideas?

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:43 #14 

scooterchick
Apparently a T4 or a scanner will do it. Twice it came on today, anyone in central Scotland got one of these things? Damsel in distress here xxx

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:47 #15 

Zeb
fireblade wrote:My check engine light came on the other night on the way home from work, the following morning the car wouldnt start, the battery had decided it didnt want to play anymore!!

So I replaced the battery, But! The check engine light is still on.

How do I get this annoying little light to go out? Anyone have any ideas?

You may find it goes off of its own accord after so many 'cycles'...ie. starting her up, driving, ECU (Engine Control Unit) sees the problem is no longer there after a few goes and switches it off.

Alternatively. How long did you leave the car batteryless? It might just need a 30 minute disconnect to reset everything.

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:48 #16 

Zeb
scooterchick wrote:Apparently a T4 or a scanner will do it. Twice it came on today, anyone in central Scotland got one of these things? Damsel in distress here xxx

OBD11 scanners on ebay for about £20.00..

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:49 #17 

scooterchick
Would that involve me having to do something with it?

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:55 #18 

scooterchick

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:59 #19 

Zeb
That'll do! Plug into socket below steering wheel on the right. Switch iginition to first? setting. Switch on this device and follow instructions....simples..:) Useful too cos it does other stuff as well..

Posted 08 May 2012, 17:01 #20