Changing the alternator on a diesel by Duncan

Duncan
Have just done the alternator on my diesel using the excellent how to. However a couple of points:

On a later auto, the oil cooler is bolted to the subframe and gets in the way of moving the aircon compressor enough to remove the alternator, so this needs unfastening (two 10mm headed bolts) and moving aside / lowering.

It also helps in getting the alternator in / out to remove the aircon belt tensioner completely rather than just loosening it to get the belt off.

Finally I struggled with the aniciliary belt tensioner at first. The how to says a 24mm ring spanner, but to me a ring spanner is one of the offset cranked ones and no way will this work. I think the how to is referring to the ring end of what I know as a combination spanner, however the one I had the ring was still too thick to get on without damaging the tensioner. However the open end slipped on a treat and applying sideways pressure was never going to slip off. So I would recommend a decent length open end 24mm as opposed to the ring.

Other than that it was a great help, and saved loads of hassle compared to the official MGR method.

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 19:42 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Duncan
Can only see the original myself??

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 20:01 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Empty your cache or shift re-load. The original has left the planet. :)

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 20:13 #4 

Suffolk Man
had mine done last week only to discover the mount casting was broken with a large chunk missing.this filled my heart with joy.the last bit is a blatant lie b.t.w.but being a public forum i will not repeat the language used

Posted 02 Jul 2012, 12:49 #5