Changing E-mail address by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
Changing my e-mail address in itself is a simple enough task, having my own domain.

My concern is making sure I don't lose any important contacts. No problem telling friends and family, bank, work, etc. but I'm always getting e-mail from people I'd forgotten about so it seems to me I'd have to run two addresses in tanden, which is a pain when the reason I want a change is the fact that my present account has recently become swamped with spam.

Does anybody have a strategy for the transition please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 26 Jul 2013, 21:18 #1 

humphshumphs
I would use 'webmail' to check the old one instead of using a mail client. That way you can just scan for know contacts and then forward them to your 'new' address and let the people have your correct address.
Richard

Posted 26 Jul 2013, 21:39 #2 

calibrax
Rather than changing your email, can you not install an anti-spam on your server to filter out the spam? They learn pretty quickly what is and what isn't spam.

something like this... http://frams.bitdefender.com/
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 26 Jul 2013, 22:59 #3 

raistlin
They generate thousands of domain names per second Steve and they deliberately use no obvious words to trap them. I've been trying that method for months and have an index filter containing over 6000 items.
Paul

Posted 27 Jul 2013, 06:47 #4 

raistlin
WHAT A NAUSE.

It has taken me literally days to sort out all the problems changing e-mail addresses can throw up :(
Paul

Posted 29 Jul 2013, 17:52 #5 

Duncan
Glad you have achieved it. With some changes BT are making, I've got dozens to sort out. About halfway through now.

Posted 30 Jul 2013, 16:23 #6