Challenging weekend by Duncan

Duncan
Well. A good start made by fitting a new MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor), fixing the radio aerial connection, a wash and vac, new mats, and even fixing the rear roller blind.

On the last: if you find your tourer roller blind seems to have failed, it migh be as simple as a trapped bit of gravel. No idea how it got there, but hol,ding the handle on the ground with my feet and pulling the mechanism upawards released a bit of gravel and it works perfectly again now.

On the challenging side, I upgraded to a a full BM54 flat pin version. I struggled because I could't get any audio from the TV / aux input,though nav worked OK. It turns out the BM54 I bought can take stereo audio in for the TV. Good news if you have a Freeview tuner!. I've also from info found on the net got an aux in on the new BM54 to use for my DAB radio, though the DAB radio itself is performing really badly which made me think it was all not working right. At the same time, I've come up with a way of creating another aux in that will work with any of the hiline radio units (BM54, BM54 back, BM24) by using the cassette player audio circuits. To be fair, I have been screaming at the car a fair bit when things seemed to work them stop working, when it turned out to be DAB signal problems!

Finally, I've found a way to relatively easily use the existing TV aeriels for a DVB (freeview) tuner. TV reception where I live is pants without a good rooftop aerial, and I currently only have one of the two screen antennas fitted, but it's working well enough to be worth others trying to confirm when I get time to write it up!

Posted 07 May 2012, 20:44 #1 

Zeb
Will be interested to see this..

Posted 07 May 2012, 20:47 #2 

JakeWilson
And here too naturally!

Is your DAB working through the headunit, or is will it require a seperate command interface?

Posted 07 May 2012, 21:38 #3 

takestock
top work that man, nice to see you relaxing the week before the Nano :D :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 May 2012, 06:11 #4 

Duncan
The DAB is using the aux in, so if you want to adjust it you have to have access to the module, in my case a pure highway. As I listen to one station it's no trouble to me to hide it, except that the external antenna is rubbish so I'm getting very bad reception.

I do have another DAB adaptor to try, though this is really meant for home use. I shall be keeping a lookout on the bay for something that might work better.

I can also confirm that the MAF has got rid of an engine vibration at part throttle when warm. Typically accellerating gently at 50-60 it felt like a misfire. It may be placebo, but the engine seems smoother and more responsive in general. I'll report back on any fuel economy effects when I've run it for the week.

Posted 08 May 2012, 06:59 #5 

baconbuttyman
I assume you are talking about a highline unit, i have the Android DD, what aerials are you using for the TV
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 08 May 2012, 08:00 #6 

Duncan
Yes I'm talking the highline. I'm using the cars original aerials, though at the moment I only have one because I need to get the left hand glass fitted (tourer).

I've found a way of getting the signals from the existing antennas out of the existing TV tuner box and into my freeview tuner. The analogue TV tuner doesn't work anymore, but then there's no analogue TV signals being broadcast anymore so what does that matter?

Posted 08 May 2012, 08:30 #7 

baconbuttyman
ah i see, the Androids dvt is specific to the dynavin, there is a connection on the rear of the stereo to connect the tuner, i am using two high gains aerials, 80% of the time the pic is ok. do you rekon a 3rd aerial would improve it through a splitter
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 08 May 2012, 16:42 #8 

Duncan
A 3rd antenna would, but it would have to be fed into a 3rd input in the tuner. Connecting the two together would not help as one signal would tend to interfere with the other and make it worse. Basically there's an intelligent switch in the tuner that selects the best signal from however many antennas it has, and outputs the best one. The standard 75 tuner has two inputs, and I'm connecting to the output of this switch. Problem is I'm not sure how the swicth decides which signal is best. If it relies on the internal tuner module then its not going to work well since I disconnect that. Still if it turns out thay way I have another slightly cunning plan....

Posted 08 May 2012, 17:54 #9