CDT died on the motorway...now fixed by geesmith (Page 2 of 3)

DeuxGazoles
This thread almost deserves a place in the Comedy Forum :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you've sussed it out though & avoided a face full of diesel :shock:

Cant wait for your next problem now so we can all have a good laugh at you with you
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 07:38 #21 

MrB
geesmith wrote:Now i can never tell you what i do for a living. :cry:
A little knowledge..is a Dangerous thing.....

Am guessing Diesel Mechanic for my local Honda Dealership :gmc:
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 13:35 #22 

Duncan
Interesting read, and hopefully I can add something.

Yes there is only one electric pump, the other side being a filter. However there has to be a way for the electric pump to get the fuel out of the bottom of the other side of the tank, after all it's a saddle tank.

This is done by a venturi pump. Sounds scientific but uses the same principle as a carburettor. A pipe from the elctric pump runs over to the other side. This is used to pump a larger volume of fuel back to the other side.

Why bother mentioning this? Well that pump would make some noise too, so could fool someone into thinking there was a second electrical pump in there.

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 18:49 #23 

geesmith
MrB wrote:
geesmith wrote:Now i can never tell you what i do for a living. :cry:
A little knowledge..is a Dangerous thing.....

Am guessing Diesel Mechanic for my local Honda Dealership :gmc:

No,it's nothing that would affect you personally unless....no, now I can never tell you....I may even resign...

:shock:

Duncan wrote:Interesting read, and hopefully I can add something.

Yes there is only one electric pump, the other side being a filter(and a level reader to average out with the one on the other side..I'm not letting this new found knowledge go to waste now).
Why bother mentioning this? Well that pump would make some noise too, so could fool someone (you mean me don't you Duncan?) into thinking there was a second electrical pump in there( which would make three in the tank in total if you include my imaginary friend one)(any advance on four pumps in total including the UBP?).

Thanks for that Duncan. ;) When I disconnected the UBPump there was no sound at all from the tank. It was definitely void of any audible electrical activity. It was likely that earlier I had been listening to the transmitted sound from the UBP...it was definitely a low day in my problem solving abilities... and my read and digest gland was temporarily inoperative too. Why oh why are my legs so tired when I'm obviously going downhill? :)
Everything seems to point to the tank pump having died on or before the 23rd...making me miss an important exhibition, a side effect of which appears to have been a TEMPORARY drop of 130 points from my IQ. Now equalised back to normal of course..... so, just off to change the tyres now the jigsaw is fully charged. Next week the Jatco live clutch change demo.. especially for DeuxGazoles et son humeur sadique :thumbsup:

My new pumps should arrive in the next couple of days. The old UBP will probably be kept safely in the boot along with necessary tools. The rear pump will receive a new VDO motor....recommended by TCut and both as seen here...
http://www.mkon.co.uk/apps/webstore/pro ... how/948874

...and my confidence in driving anywhere in my 75 will be restored (sticks fingers in ears). Must do something about the "WKR" part of my registration plates....should I weld them on or simply add rivets?

Posted 28 Jun 2010, 20:08 #24 

James.uk
Well whatever the outcome Glynn, you, your car, and your sense of humour are a welcome addition to the club.. :)

:D

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 01:51 #25 

geesmith
Well thank you James... I'm really hoping to be a simple observer of the break down threads in future....having already mastered the simple part.

And, having ordered my pumps at approx 2.00pm yesterday from MKON they arrived at 7.30 this morning!! Yayy.....just need to glue them on now and then I'll be covered with gas....sorry, meant cooking with gas. ;)

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 08:01 #26 

Russ
(Trader)
Hope all goes well with the fitting, it's awkward and can be messy but I'm sure you'll manage.

if you get stuck give me a call.

All should be well once it's been done.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 11:02 #27 

James.uk
The in tank pump is a horrible job to do, especially if you have a lot of fuel in there! :(

I think bribing Russ to help you would be by far your best plan.. But plzzz make it a big bribe or he may not speak to me again! :(

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 15:18 #28 

geesmith
I thank you for your concern, I just read the instructions and you know what? I think I'll just wade in with the hose clamps and everything...mums just putting my mittens on..

Hopefully I am up to speed as today I repaired a double and a triple outlet alternating pressure mattress pump and dismantled and updated a sequential DVT pump so replacing a motor in a mere fuel pump meh!

Todays repairs were not covered in diesel but had been liberally doused with BIO-SIDE to ensure they weren't swimming with Clostridium Difficile or MRSA...couldn't do much about C-Dif spores under the circumstances.... oops....cat nearly out of bag. I suggest you try to keep your health. :shock:

Actually it's 8.45pm and I haven't even lifted a finger yet......

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 19:17 #29 

Last edited by geesmith on 29 Jun 2010, 19:50, edited 2 times in total.

James.uk
OMGawd Glynn 's a maintenance engineer in a hosp!!! :shock: :o

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here" ..... :nurse: :scared:

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 19:39 #30 

geesmith
LOL..... it's worse than that I reckon James.... I'm not tied to one location. :twisted: :panic: :gmc: :confused:

Posted 29 Jun 2010, 19:47 #31 

geesmith
Now fixed.
One and a half hours. Hardest parts were getting the hose off the top of the pump. The clip was easy the hose clung on like it was molded on and I had to split it up to the barb...even after holding it in boiling water several times for minutes. The smaller brown spade was the latching type and had been put on the wrong way round so the latch was difficult to release.

Put it back in the car in two pieces then attached the hose to the top of the new motor.....which was a tight push fit....fortunately....as I didn't put a jubilee clip or even a tie wrap on it.

Having put the pump back in and tightened the clamping ring with a pneumatic jackhammer I connected the electrics and turned the ignition and heard a luvly pump sound ...and saw fuel emanating from the hose with the release button....very healthy flow and even though I switched straight off it filled the top of the pump recess and obviously overflowed as I left a thin trail of diesel when I went on the test drive which I noticed as I drove back up the street. I then uncovered the pump again to make sure the sealing ring wasn't leaking. it wasn't. Quite a lot of diesel had flowed in the few seconds that I'd tested the pump.

So, the hose on top of the pump that has the plastic CPC type clip is the return from the near side of the tank and I believe that explains the hose that runs down the side of the pump motor and terminates in a plastic outlet. You will be aware that I could be wrong.

The motor has an "Energy" logo on the side.

Fitting the pump back into the car was done with an LED (Light Emitting Diode) headlamp partly because it was 10.30pm (started at 9.00pm) and partly because it's invaluable while jiggling the 'tray' and the hoses. The arrangement of plastic pieces in there totally bemuses me....

Thanks for joining in anyway.. ;) :? :lol:

Next the UBP....while the one that's done 100k is still working.. why no crossed fingers smiley?
:unionflag: :bed: :unionflag: <me between the sheets

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 22:54 #32 

MrB
Job Well Done Glyn.

Good luck with the UBP.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 30 Jun 2010, 23:42 #33 

raistlin
Ah, a positive outcome. We like positive outcomes :D

Well done Glynn :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 06:01 #34 

JohnDotCom
Good job done and end of your problems. Glad all now sorted.
UB pump much easier when you have to do that.
Thanks for the update.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 07:47 #35 

geesmith
. . . .Thank you. Yes you! ;)

Now sitting at work having driven here in my lovely 75. :D

....happy birthday to me!! I am about 12 today.....

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 08:27 #36 

James.uk
Nice one Glynn, you have done half the job. Now sods law sez the UB one will go unless you replace it quickly! But the intank one is by far the more difficult one to work on. :)

BTW There are other web sites for your car if you have problems with it.. Just thought I'd mention that.. :D ;)

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 15:02 #37 

geesmith
I know about the other websites James and have trawled them all with me yawksha drawl. 8-)

I found a good how to on the other side but had to request the pics from Spongebob here. Thanks again Simon.
It's a stress free task once you set in, you just have to remember that it's you that's going wrong if something proves difficult.
To seperate the motor case I slid a round ended knife down one side of the catch and a small flat driver down the other side of each one....I was surprised they all fitted without breaking anything. As the last driver slipped in the two halves slipped apart. Peasy weasy.

The best bit was shaking the old pump and hearing bits rattling around followed by the dull thunk of it landing in an empty wheelie bin.

Buddy was totally at his wits end as he likes to assist with everything I do and watching all those glistening plastic bits from the lounge window wasn't his idea of fun. ;)

Now home from work with a 4/5ths full tank containing Comma injector cleaner.
Just need to coax the rear seat wires to re-attach themselves to the clips now...or tomorrow... :sleep:

Clip detail face on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 17:53 #38 

Last edited by geesmith on 01 Jul 2010, 19:34, edited 3 times in total.

James.uk
You have to tip the seat back as far as it will go, then shove it down and lower the front as far as you can and leave just enough room to reach underneath as far as you can until you can grip the vertical bit of roddy stuff that forms the clip, then force it downward and back as hard as you can.. It should then click into place.. :)

Note the word "should" ... :lol:

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 19:25 #39 

geesmith
LOL..it should have done that half a dozen times at lunchtime... I can see all the bits but can't understand why they're all so far apart navrything..... :rolling:

Not that I'm beaten or anything, just that my bottom wasn't inclined to be involved... (couldn't be rs'd)

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 19:39 #40