Cat C write off - advice please by sewerman

sewerman
Hi - my Rover 75 was reversed into by someone twice at the local garage, I got their insurance details contacted them and they offered to deal with it. So I've dealt with then and not my insurers so far.

The damage is a dented and scraped door and dent on the wing all cosmetic damage. I took it to their approved repairer who did his estimate and unsurprisingly they got in touch today to say it was uneconomical to repair and offered a nice sum of money (more than i brought it for) and I could keep it on the condition they classed it as a cat c write off. New door and wing in the right colour of the bay £80 so I want the money and will get the bits to fit.

so far so good but they want a copy of the v5 and the original MOT before they send the cash, so the help i want is why do they want the MOT will I be unable to drive the car till I get it re MOT'd? the .GOV web site is very poor on advice other than a VIC is no longer required after October 15. I'm sure it would pass the MOT in its current condition so thats not an issue but I'm unclear of the process once I send the stuff back.

Any help appreciated Scott
Royal Blue Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Posted 11 Feb 2016, 18:10 #1 

Bernard
My 75 was classified as Cat C last year after a relatively minor bump. I dealt with the insurance company entirely by 'phone and email (for photos). I did not take it to the approved repairer and held on to the car. The insurance company did not want any paperwork and after a chat with the assessor who first made what I considered a derisory offer, they sent me a cheque for an agreed sum. I repaired the car myself with quite a lot of money over, which will go some way to pay the increased future premiums.
I did have to take the car to a DVLA centre for a check that it was not a ringer. The MOT did not feature in any way.

Posted 11 Feb 2016, 20:42 #2 

sewerman
Thanks Bernard - was it your insurance company or theirs you dealt with? - I might give them a ring tomorrow to see why they want it.

Posted 11 Feb 2016, 20:50 #3 

Bernard
It was my insurance, I was victim of a scam.

Posted 11 Feb 2016, 20:54 #4 

sewerman
Ah Ok - I was wondering as it not my insurance company if I could just get the money off them - no Cat C - I will ring them tomorrow and see what they say.

Posted 11 Feb 2016, 21:01 #5 

sewerman
Well to update on this in case anyone else is in this unfortunate position, my insurers have made a note on the file but the premium wont change (will see when its up for renewal!) and are ok with everything. Having spoken to the DVSA about returning the MOT thats fine but the car will need to be retested so there is a current certificate in force which I can will get done before I return the old one! so fingers crossed will be receiving a cheque soon so that I can go spares hunting :-)

Posted 12 Feb 2016, 18:14 #6