Car is dead. Not a good day... by calibrax

calibrax
Car died today on the A2... was cruising along at 70mph, then suddenly car wouldn't accelerate - then the oil light flickered a bit followed by engine cut out. Managed to coast onto the hard shoulder. Wouldn't restart.

AA turned up after just 30 mins, and asked me to turn it over, which I did. I couldn't hear the engine (noisy road) but he said it sounds like something is broken, and it's not a quick fix. His comment on the form is "Engine U/S"

Had it towed to Apple MG in Meopham. They were really busy and only managed to look at it late on in the day....they say it doesn't sound right when cranking, so they are going to do a compression test tomorrow. Doesn't look good. At least I have the AA Breakdown Repair Cover, so the first £500 of any repair is covered.

Fingers crossed it's not time for a new engine... :cry:
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 20:52 #1 

kandyman
Fingers crossed thats is not to costly to get back on the road.

If it's making a horrible noise when cranking over like mine old car was when it snapped the front cam shaft :(

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 21:04 #2 

Ragman
Sorry to hear that Steve

Hope it gets sorted and doesn't cost the earth

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 22:23 #3 

Aurora MG
Not good there Steve, hope it is an easy fix!

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 00:22 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Fingers crossed for you!

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 12:07 #5 

MrB
Monk wrote:Fingers crossed for you!

:iagree:
Hope it's nothing too expensive
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 12:10 #6 

starbug2
MrB wrote:
Monk wrote:Fingers crossed for you!

:iagree:
Hope it's nothing too expensive

:iagree: hope its not as bad as it may seem :shock:

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 14:23 #7 

Jürgen
calibrax wrote:Car died today on the A2... was cruising along at 70mph, then suddenly car wouldn't accelerate - then the oil light flickered a bit followed by engine cut out. Managed to coast onto the hard shoulder. Wouldn't restart.
[...]
Fingers crossed it's not time for a new engine... :cry:

I hope it's just a minor cause, Steve, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The very same symptoms came up when a fuel pump and a check valve went bust and I got stranded on the hard shoulder of an Autobahn many years ago. But I was lucky, MGR sent a tow truck to recover my 75 then.

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 15:24 #8 

calibrax
No update yet. I called them at 5pm today, and they said it was still being investigated, they would let me know as soon as they had a diagnosis.

So far, not all that impressed with the speed of service... but I expect they are still quite busy and after all my car was dumped on them with no prior notice... so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt!

I just want my car sorted, and patience is not one of my virtues! ;)
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 17:25 #9 

calibrax
Low compression confirmed. Have authorised them to remove cylinder head to investigate further. :(

I suppose now I can only hope it's a top end problem, say a cam shaft... otherwise it looks like new engine time :(
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 13 Jan 2011, 10:01 #10 

kandyman
once they have found out what the fault is it might be worth while getting a cost from Corrin as im sure he'll be cheaper.

Good luck

Posted 13 Jan 2011, 13:31 #11 

calibrax
New engine needed. More info in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2685
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 17:28 #12 

Jürgen
Sorry to read that it is such a serious fault. :(

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 20:49 #13 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Topic closed, please go to viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2685 for continuation

Posted 14 Jan 2011, 22:10 #14 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.