Cant believe it by goodlittlewifey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

goodlittlewifey
As some of you may remember I was in a car crash back in January, and even though the other party admitted liability she was talking on her phone at the time, and she had to do another special driving test,the case is going to court, as her solicitors wont pay out, they offered a very silly amount which didnt even cover the costs of the pysio I had for months, and my loss of earnings, my solicitor said a lot of solicitors are now doing this, offering a really low amount,and then taking it into court,even though they know they have no chance of winning the case,
Why on earth do this, so now I have to go and stand in court, somewhere I,ve never been, standing waiting with a lot of people that have commited crimes, how embarrasing, Im really not a happy bunny just now

Posted 01 Oct 2010, 15:01 #1 

James.uk
Hiya Heather.. :)

I am sorry you have to go to Court, But..

Most people you see there, will be there for marital probs, debt stuff, parking fines, speeding tickets, insurance claims etc etc mundane stuff like that, the serious crims are in Nick waiting to go to crown court.. :)

Posted 01 Oct 2010, 15:39 #2 

raistlin
Heather, you'll be going to a County Court which deals with civil matters, not criminal. In fact, often these sort of cases are heard in the relative informality of the Judge's chambers rather than in the Court room.

In addition, as the plaintiff, I'd expect you to be looked after by the court staff. Also, you will have the choice of Court location to suit yourself :)

Even though you have been warned for Court, have you been given a date yet?

I'd be really surprised if it did see the inside of a Court as the costs for the losing party become astronomical and from what you've said it's clear you'll win. They tend to push it to see if you have the resolve to go through with the case.

Presumably, your people will use this extension of the time taken to settle to increase quantum of damages, which are usually based upon the length of time you've suffered physical and / or mental pain. I'd expect a new and reasonable offer to settle just before the case is to be heard. Even if it doesn't go the distance, they will be in line for significant costs in Court time for the preparation of the case.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Oct 2010, 15:45 #3 

goodlittlewifey
Ive had all the various dates for court, and Ive got to keep the 7/2/2011 till the 25/2/2011 free for the court window, that will be 2 valentines days ruined because of that woman, last year Paris was postponed because I couldnt fly due to my injuries and now we cant book anything abroad because I need to keep these dates free

Posted 01 Oct 2010, 16:29 #4 

raistlin
Doesn't sound like your solicitor is doing all they should be Heather. You are supposed to be asked what dates to avoid. I think I'd be asking some questions, the first one being, "Who is the injured party in all this?" Just my view you understand.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Oct 2010, 16:43 #5 

goodlittlewifey
My solicitor just asked if we had any dates planned for anything and at the moment we dont have anything planned for next year, but hopefully it will be after Valentines day or we,ll just go away after valentines day, it will be cheaper as well I suppose

Posted 01 Oct 2010, 16:46 #6