Can puddle lights be wired into the door only ? by Trebor

Trebor
One for the electrical gurus.

Puddle lights are a popular mod but what puts a lot of people off is the work involved, namely passing wires through both front doors through the A pillar and connected to the courtesy light switch

As the courtesy light goes off when the door is closed thanks to some magic in the door lock wiring, would it be possible to connect puddle lights to the wiring in the door to save the above work ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 12:52 #1 

Bermudan 75
Hi Rob,

Someone at the Nano-meet mentioned this and were going down the route of fitting pressure switches to the doors. So when door was closed the switch would be closed. Can't remember who mentioned it though.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 13:30 #2 

kandyman
Be interested in the outcome of this,

I brought a set a few months back but never got round to citing them as I didn't want to run wires through the door grommets so ingot some of the battery operated ones and I've still not fitted them yet :)

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 13:34 #3 

dattrike
Rover418275 wrote:Hi Rob,

Someone at the Nano-meet mentioned this and were going down the route of fitting pressure switches to the doors. So when door was closed the switch would be closed. Can't remember who mentioned it though.

Cheers

Mike

It was Paul D of the celestial blue fame (Christine), I think it was on the door lock motor feed??

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 15:51 #4 

Duncan
It was Paul. He is looking into it.

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 15:56 #5 

Bermudan 75
Indeed it was, however if anyone is replacing their powerfold gears they could run a wire through to accommodate the puddle lights at a future date, me thinks.

Mike

Posted 22 Sep 2013, 17:54 #6 

Trebor
The gears can be replaced without disturbing the door grommett and wiring to the A pillar Mike, although if you are having powerfolds fitted its a good idea.

I have been in touch with Paul D and there may be some developments this week and I will report back, but i would also welcome Pauls opinion as Mr Electrickery when he hopefully picks up on this thread
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 23 Sep 2013, 11:27 #7 

paul d
It works.......!!!!!

Needs a little tweeking but it works.

Regards

Paul

Posted 23 Sep 2013, 16:23 #8 

kandyman
paul d wrote:It works.......!!!!!

Needs a little tweeking but it works.

Regards

Paul

come on spill the beans :)

Posted 23 Sep 2013, 17:50 #9 

paul d
Soon, soon i promise.

Regards

Paul

Posted 23 Sep 2013, 18:40 #10 

Jürgen
paul d wrote:Soon, soon i promise.

Nothing yet Paul? ;)

Posted 11 Oct 2013, 13:53 #11 

paul d
Please be patient Been having some issurs after sustaining a head injury, hence me not being on here recently

Regards

Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 09:38 #12 

kandyman
Sorry to hear your not to good at the moment,

Hope your get back to your normal self soon.

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 09:52 #13 

paul d
kandyman wrote:Sorry to hear your not to good at the moment,

Hope your get back to your normal self soon.

Thanks for that.

Sometimes wonder at the moment what my normal self is..!!!!

Regards

Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 09:56 #14 

kandyman
paul d wrote:
Sometimes wonder at the moment what my normal self is..!!!!
Paul

I don't think anyone is normal on here :)

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 10:12 #15 

Jürgen
Sorry to hear this Paul, get well soon!

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 11:51 #16 

woolleysox
How are you getting feeling better yet? Hope to see you at .Cov meet 19th October or nano 20th

Rob
Woolleysox

midlandsnanomeets.co.uk

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 16:05 #17 

paul d
Hi Rob

Getting there mate. Not sure about either meet as got another scan this week & will see how things are after that.

Will just turn up to either if i'm ok. thought it best not to say for deffinate as things are still not good some days.

Regards

Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2013, 16:24 #18 

Devilish
Even if a theory relating to switching the puddle lights on/off using the lock/unlock pulse, a relay in the door would need to be powered before it will work, and there is no power supply in the door. Unless you want to get in the car and switch on the ignition for the puddle lights to come on. Sort of defeats the object though as the door/s would be shut again by then :-). Feeding an interior light switched 12v wire through the convoluted tube is the only way.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 10 Dec 2013, 10:13 #19