Buying in the Netherlands... by Mad-Monkey (Page 1 of 2)

Mad-Monkey
Would anyone be able to help me compose an email to a dealer in the Netherlands. I would write in English but I always think it's rude just to assume they'd understand it, and well, my language skills are, erm, rubbish!

Just need to know if they have a part in stock, i.e. physically lay their hands on it, and if they could send it to me, or via another member.

Purleeease :mrgreen:

I shall re-imburse all costs and see you right :)

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 12:52 #1 

Bermudan 75
Hi David,

I don't think you will have any language issues with the Netherlands. I believe they have very good language skills and a majority speak English.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 13:10 #2 

Mad-Monkey
I'll risk it then, I just feel a bit rude :( I find languages really hard to learn as well, I've tried quite a few!

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 13:13 #3 

Bermudan 75
If you don't risk it, Murphy's Law will result in them having had the part you are after, but just sold it, and it was the last one !

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 13:15 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Done! :) Cheers

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 13:17 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
We do have Dutch members, let me know if you need a translation.

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 13:41 #6 

Dave
You could try Google translate. Your first paragraph comes out as

"Zou iemand kunnen helpen me een e-mailbericht naar een dealer in Nederland. Ik zou schrijven in het Engels, maar ik altijd denk dat het onbeleefd is gewoon om aan te nemen dat ze het begrijpen, en goed, mijn taal vaardigheden, erm, onzin!"

which then translates back to English as

"Could someone help me e-mail to a dealer in the Netherlands. I would write in English, but I always think it's just rude to assume that they understand, and well, my language skills, erm, nonsense!"

which I guess shows it's pretty accurate!

As Mike says though, you should be OK to write in English. I used to drive trucks in Holland many moons ago and found that nearly all of the Dutch and the Germans spoke it pretty much as well as I did! The French could do, but mostly chose not to!

My Cousin's husband is Dutch, but you wouldn't know it to talk to him!

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 14:09 #7 

Mad-Monkey
I used the google translator once for an email to Germany... they wrote back in English! :gmc: :roll: I didn't have a .uk email address so I guess the translation was quite bad!

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 14:45 #8 

JakeWilson
Google translate is a handy resource if you already have an understanding of the language and already know the grammar as it helps with vocabularly, however with that you also have to make sure that it's the correct word used for the context.

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 15:51 #9 

Dave
Good point!

I'd never use it without translating it back first though!

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 16:02 #10 

Duncan
I once did an experiment. I have access to a similar tool but with a limted number of options. I took a phrase and translated English to German, German to Spanish, Spanish to German, German to English.

Gibberish, as you might expect. Or in it's own words, erm, manure:

[MEr] [could|might] help me any for this purpose with forming one [[Mail|Post office] [Electrónico|E mail]] to a trader in the Netherlands. He would write down English but I always believe that [es|está] exactly main part, in order to mean, [which|who] would understand [it|him] and that my Sprach[fähigkeiten|geschicklichkeit] [son|están] good, [[[[erm]]]], manure

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 16:22 #11 

Mad-Monkey
I always have visions of;

What you want to say: Hello, do you have these in stock?

What you actually say: Hello, you smell like the back end of a horse

:D

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 16:23 #12 

JakeWilson
Always makes me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 16:32 #13 

Suffolk Man
hi if you are dealing with damen kroes or autohaus hofstee ring them up they all speak prefect english.

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 18:49 #14 

kandyman
Dart I'm now wondering what part your after and do I want one :)

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 22:21 #15 

Mad-Monkey
wedd wrote:hi if you are dealing with damen kroes or autohaus hofstee ring them up they all speak prefect english.

It is those yes, but see now I would feel even more rude. Ringing a company in a different country and babbling English down the phone. However I'll probably do it if they dont email.

Andy unless you're playing with your brakes I doubt you need what I want :)

Posted 01 Dec 2011, 07:34 #16 

kandyman
Monk wrote:
wedd wrote:Andy unless you're playing with your brakes I doubt you need what I want :)

Well I do have to put new pads on the front early next year :)

Posted 01 Dec 2011, 10:47 #17 

Mad-Monkey
Ah but your brakes will already have these fitted and be in good order. Depends how OCD you are ;)

Posted 01 Dec 2011, 11:20 #18 

Mad-Monkey
All done :)

Got my Dad's friend to ring as he can speak Dutch as there was no response to the email. They gave him a different email address for me to email them and I did it all in English. Very nice people who work in that company. I'm chuffed :)

Thanks

Posted 02 Dec 2011, 15:50 #19 

Suffolk Man
dont be they are fine you will a nice answer in dutch.funny that i just said hi i am ringing from england switched straight away.tranfered me to the parts dept chatted away no problem.however if you order from damen kroes they only accept bank transfer as payment no cards cheques etc or paypal.bank tranfer cost me £15 plus the amount.autohaus hofstee however do paypal etc.and on a final note if you send your address for postage set it out in page form as written not like i did in one line.this caused all sorts of problems as they thought my postcode was the door number as in the netherlands the house number is in with the code on the end.

Posted 02 Dec 2011, 15:58 #20