Buying and using a non UK domain by Dave

Dave
I'm interested in giving this a go!

I already have http://www.davidhyde.co.uk, which (being my name) I quite like! :mrgreen:

But I've been toying with buying a German domain, so that not including the www part, I could have a domain that was only 8 characters long, ie http://www.davehy.de :-D

Question is though, would there be any difficulties actually using it (not that I can think of anything to put on it!) or linking it to email forwarding? I can see that it's available here although the cost seems a little OTT at around £14 p/a, whereas the one I already have is only around £4 p/a.....

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 13:38 #1 

Duncan
Can't see an issue, as there are many overseas companies use .co.uk to fool people into thinking they are buying from the UK.

Personally I have a .com which is a freeby from a dynamic DNS host and gives out .coms as they are US based.

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 13:47 #2 

SpongeBob
Apart from the cost and any transfer fees (plus propagation time for the new domain) I can't se there being any issues off-hand.

Perhaps check there are no German regulations governing use of .de domains (such as restrictions on either content or ownership or something) before you jump in though.

Most obviously would be people expecting the site to be German and perhaps people typing in your name expecting either a .com or .co.uk ending might cause confusion, unless you plan on keeping the existing domain as the main one and use the .de one as a kind of fancy redirect?

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 13:49 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Use of www is down to server configuration ours for example does not need www

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 13:57 #4 

Dave
Mick wrote:Use of www is down to server configuration ours for example does not need www

Turns out my existing one doesn't either! (just tried it!)

Can't see any issue with content, as probably wouldn't put anything up anyway. More interested in having an email address like dave@davehy.de :mrgreen: Problem is, not sure how I could manage this? I have my existing domain, plus a few others, which are all .co.uk style, through lcn.com, and I can manage them through their site. If I got a .de address, where would I be able to set up forwarding etc?

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 14:54 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
If you have a word with admin HBB he should be able to host the mail for you with redirect to any domain. Not free.

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 16:32 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You should be able to buy from German registrar you will pay probably £10.00 and they may even host it for free, some do. BTW you don't need redirects set up necessarily as you email app, outlook or whatever can support many accounts.

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 16:50 #7 

Jürgen
SpongeBob wrote:Perhaps check there are no German regulations governing use of .de domains (such as restrictions on either content or ownership or something) before you jump in though.

Never heard about restrictions like that. :)

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 17:04 #8 

Dave
Jürgen wrote:Never heard about restrictions like that. :)

One domain site I looked at said that there was something they had to do for you to get round having to be resident in Germany, which was required in order to register. An extra £15

None of the others said anything....

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 17:17 #9 

Jürgen
Have a look at the official DENIC Domain Guidelines.

DENIC wrote:If the Domain Holder is not domiciled in Germany, the admin-c will also be the person authorized to accept service for the purposes of § 184 of the German Code of Civil Procedure (Zivilprozessordnung), § 132 of the German Code of Criminal Procedure (Strafprozessordnung), § 56 (3) of the Rules of the Administrative Courts (Verwaltungsgerichtsordnung) and § 15 of the Administrative Procedures Act (Verwaltungsverfahrensgesetz) and the corresponding provisions of the Administrative Procedures Acts of the respective states of the Federal Republic of Germany; in that case the admin-c must be domiciled in Germany and their full postal address must be supplied.

Maybe these requirements are the reason for some providers not to offer a .de domain abroad. :confused:

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 18:20 #10 

Jürgen
And here's a list of all providers, which have contract with DENIC:
http://www.denic.de/en/denic/members/li ... untry.html

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 18:24 #11 

Dave
:shock:

This is all starting to sound a little complicated!

I might be changing my mind............

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 18:47 #12 

PaulT
Dave wrote:
Jürgen wrote:Never heard about restrictions like that. :)

One domain site I looked at said that there was something they had to do for you to get round having to be resident in Germany, which was required in order to register. An extra £15

None of the others said anything....

How does that square with EU regulations and treating every member as one
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 18:52 #13 

Jürgen
Dave wrote::shock:

This is all starting to sound a little complicated!

I might be changing my mind............

Have a look at the DENIC members list mentioned above. There are four UK based companies, maybe one of them can make a suitable offer (just follow the links).

Great Britain
Mesh Digital Limited, GU7 1RJ Godalming
Nominum Ltd., 3BA StainesMiddlesex TW18
NOM IQ Ltd T/A Com Laude, WC1A 2HN London

United Kingdom
Safenames Ltd., MK14 6LS Milton Keynes

BTW Didn't know that Milton Keynes is no longer part of Great Britain ... :mrgreen:

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 19:10 #14 

Dave
LOL!

I only found the MK one, as I looked under UK and not GB!

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 19:23 #15 

Duncan
It's often misunderstood. Great Britain is part of the United Kingdom. It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (I think).

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 19:28 #16 

Jürgen
Duncan wrote:It's often misunderstood. Great Britain is part of the United Kingdom. It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (I think).

:iagree:
As I've learned:

ENG + SCO + WAL = GB
GB + NIR = UK

Posted 12 Jan 2012, 20:27 #17 

Mad-Monkey

Posted 14 Jan 2012, 15:19 #18 

Dave
Available but £14.99, which I can't really justify just for the fun of it! :(

Thanks for the link though!

Posted 14 Jan 2012, 16:04 #19