Buying a repo with no keys by pob06

pob06
or log book.

Might have an opportunity to buy one of our cars that is a repo (fines not finance). Its taxed.

It has no log book (£25 and form from post office for log book IIRC).

How do I stand in a legal keeper/ownership sense with the previous owner?? I assume I would get a bill of sale or receipt from repo company.

BUT more imp to me is that it has no keys.

How difficult a job would it be to get into the car (without damage) and to get two keys programmed?. No-one near me with a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System).

I'm concerned that the previous owners keys might still give access to the car so would want to stop that.

TBH I'm not 100% sure about following it up (its a bit of a leap of faith without being able to start it up/test it) but it could be a niceproject and would give me a chance to buy something I woudlnt normally be able to afford.

Any advise - even if its "dont bother" would be appreciated.
Despite the high cost of living its still proving popular.

Posted 17 Jun 2012, 21:44 #1 

MrDoodles
Unless it's mega cheap, don't bother! :cry:

Supplying and coding two keys will be the thick end of £400 and are you brave enough to buy a car without even being able to hear it run? :!:

No doubt there's no service history with it either, I would steer clear as there's still plenty of good cars to choose from and this could be a money pit! :cry:

Posted 17 Jun 2012, 21:49 #2 

pob06
Sort of my thoughts tbh - but just wanted a sounding board. Cheers
Despite the high cost of living its still proving popular.

Posted 17 Jun 2012, 21:55 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
One key will get you started, if turns out to be a proposition, a second key at a later date perhaps.
Really need to see it running though. :(

Posted 17 Jun 2012, 22:22 #4 

JakeWilson
pob06 wrote:or log book.

Might have an opportunity to buy one of our cars that is a repo (fines not finance). Its taxed.

It has no log book (£25 and form from post office for log book IIRC).

How do I stand in a legal keeper/ownership sense with the previous owner?? I assume I would get a bill of sale or receipt from repo company.

BUT more imp to me is that it has no keys.

How difficult a job would it be to get into the car (without damage) and to get two keys programmed?. No-one near me with a T4.

I'm concerned that the previous owners keys might still give access to the car so would want to stop that.

TBH I'm not 100% sure about following it up (its a bit of a leap of faith without being able to start it up/test it) but it could be a niceproject and would give me a chance to buy something I woudlnt normally be able to afford.

Any advise - even if its "dont bother" would be appreciated.

Depends on what it is. If it's something low mileage, rare, well speced and straight (oh and cheap) then I wouldn't rule it out personally.

If it was for example a late mk2 SE ZT-T then yes I'd consider it as there aren't many of those about, but a mk1 rover 75 - not really!

Horses for courses and different strokes for different folks!

Posted 17 Jun 2012, 22:29 #5 

Duncan
There are a few people who can sort keys much cheaper than this. Monk for example. However with no example keyblade to copy I'm not sure how you would resolve that.

Posted 18 Jun 2012, 10:47 #6 

Mad-Monkey
You could replace the key locks and have a new transponder from the original programmed. You could rekey the lock but it might takes ages! Getting the ignition barrel out without the key might prove to be destructive, so you might need a new steering column.

Posted 18 Jun 2012, 12:11 #7 

Dodo

Evidently on the T4 you can disable keys no longer held so you won't have any worries with previous owners. (but what do i know) :)
The person behind the man (with no strings)..........

Posted 18 Jun 2012, 15:26 #8 

Mad-Monkey
What spec is the car, or, is the price of the car worth the hassle? If it turns out to be a money pit can you break it and get you're money back. If needs be is it worth £200 for a key from BMW to use. A second is cheaper if you come to me.

Is the car unlocked? If it is you're half way there, as getting in without damage can be a mission. Starting the car is easy without a key but the steering lock would be a challenge without damage.

Posted 18 Jun 2012, 16:26 #9 

carlpenn
If a Car is reposessed it is no longer the Previous Owners vehicle, actually it never was theirs, it belonged to the HP Provider. They have taken it back (reposessed) and sold it on to a new owner.

We sell quite a few repo cars at work, Many without Keys as well because the "Owners" hide their Cars etc to avoid them being taken away, meaning that when teh Bailif / Collection agent comes to the car, they have to "Force" entry to remove the vehicle.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 18 Jun 2012, 18:57 #10