Bulb Warning Light - Why ? by Trebor

Trebor
For a while now I have had the bulb warning light on the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) which has been showing a fail on both tail lights

The tail lights are fine as are the brake lights ( one filament bulbs for both ) but nevertheless I changed the bulbs but still the same

As one of my number plate lights was also out I was hoping that could be the culprit, and it was the usual PCB (Printed Circuit Board) problem so I have sourced another and that is now fine

However the bulb warning is still on and still showing both tail lights as the issue

All the bulbs in the rear clusters are all working fine, stop and tail, indicator, fog, reversing and all are original bulbs, number plate lights also working fine and original bulbs

The wiring looks ok going into the clusters so does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 19:48 #1 

PaulT
Think it was Duncan that once replied that the number plate light is not monitored - I may be wrong and if so apologies to Duncan.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 21:16 #2 

raistlin
Perhaps try a battery reset first Rob?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 21:33 #3 

Trebor
Thanks Paul thought about that tonight and will give it a try tomorrow
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 21:58 #4 

Duncan
I wonder if there's a bit of dirt on the contacts, or maybe intermittent bulbs? I'm not sure about the number plate bulbs, but I know the front fogs aren't monitored. I'd have to check about the number plate lamps.

Remember the system does 'cold' monitoring, that is checking the bulbs when they are off too. So a bit of dirt or a cracked filament in the bulb can give you fail warnings. I'd try putting in a new bulb or bulbs anyway, and putting a bit of switch cleaner on the contacts of the bulb, and the plug for the lamps anyway.

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 22:01 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Number plate lights will cause a bulb fail. My old 190 use to suffer with the PCB.

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 22:03 #6 

Jürgen
The number plate lamps will only show up as failed if both of them aren't working anymore.

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 22:04 #7 

raistlin
Mad-Monkey wrote:Number plate lights will cause a bulb fail. My old 190 use to suffer with the PCB.

Not on all cars then, as VeeKay once failed MOT for no numberplate lights and there was no indication on my IPK :(
Paul

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 22:29 #8 

Trebor
Thanks for the replies will look at dirty contacts tomorrow and report back
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 22 Dec 2014, 22:48 #9 

Devilish
I could take the amber LED (Light Emitting Diode) out of the IPK, bit of a job but it would fix it.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 23 Dec 2014, 05:35 #10 

Mad-Monkey
raistlin wrote:
Mad-Monkey wrote:Number plate lights will cause a bulb fail. My old 190 use to suffer with the PCB.

Not on all cars then, as VeeKay once failed MOT for no numberplate lights and there was no indication on my IPK :(

I wonder if it was a Facelift addition?

Posted 23 Dec 2014, 10:45 #11 

raistlin
Mad-Monkey wrote:
raistlin wrote:

I wonder if it was a Facelift addition?

No idea David, but I'm sure I had seen it on my previous Y reg CDT.
Paul

Posted 23 Dec 2014, 12:18 #12 

Trebor
Well after a battery reset all is fine !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 23 Dec 2014, 12:53 #13 

raistlin
Trebor wrote:Well after a battery reset all is fine !

:clap:

Just like re-booting a PC when unspecified gremlins strike :)
Paul

Posted 23 Dec 2014, 13:56 #14 

Trebor
Well the bulb warning light soon came back on and I was convinced the bulbs were ok as the failure was showing both tail lights gone yet there was light from both at the back , thats when I discovered what a fool I am !

Yes there was light on both sides but coming from the brake light bulbs which had both come on to compensate for blown tail light bulbs which sit underneath the brake light bulbs in the light unit, so replaced both bulbs and cleaned the contacts and warning light now gone out

I had forgotten how clever these cars can be and would have spotted it sooner had only one tail light bulb blown, but still not sure why both tail light bulbs went at the same time unless it was connected to my accident when I was rear end shunted
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 25 Jan 2015, 09:07 #15 

takestock
If it helps Rob, I did the exact same thing when I first took ownership of the Typhoon ZT :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Feb 2015, 19:19 #16