Bubble, gurgle, bubble - trouble in store . . . by Tourerfogey

Tourerfogey
A tale of woe.

Started up the Tourer this morning and immediately became aware of a very loud gurgling sound which increased as I revved the engine. Mmm, thought I, time to check the coolant level - nearly 2 pints later the it was back to the correct level. Checked dipstick and oil filler for any sign of water in the oil - all looked ok. Re-started the car (gurgled away again for the first minute or so) laid in the road and watched for any sign of leakage - none. Let her warm up properly - still no sign of leakage or further gurgling! So went, somewhat tentatively, on my way. My morning was full of stop/start journeys and the temp gauge went to normal and sat there. Still no sign of leakage but when I checked at lunchtime - it needed another half pint of water. . .

The head gasket was replaced 16 months ago (at 28K) with the new MLS (Multi Layer Steel Gasket) gasket and cradle kit. So, 5000 later it looks like we're heading in that direction again . . .

To add insulty to injury, the check strap on the driver's door has been catching and clicking for about the last 2 months (yes, I know I should have lubricated it) well, this morning it stopped clicking - because it broke altogether . . .

Just to really finish off my day when I sat down to watch 'The Saint' on ITV4 + 1 this afternoon I found that ITV4 + 1 doesn't seem to exist anymore!

However, back to the Tourer, - I know who to blame - it's all Zeb's fault because when I was talking to Carl last week he asked if the Tourer was being 'troublesome'. Stupidly I replied that it wasn't.

:(

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 19:38 #1 

SpongeBob
Sorry to hear of the woe TF, luckily you seem to have caught the problem before it manifested itself into something that resembled the sound of expensive components welding themselves together :panic:

Let's hope no underlying problems other than the possibility of the head gasket - which in itself shouldn't have gone but nevertheless let's hope it's nothing more serious.

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 20:01 #2 

kandyman
OMG this is bad news,

where has ITV4 + 1 gone ?

Oh and hope your car is ok.

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 20:15 #3 

kandyman
ITV4 + 1 is no longer available on any SKY box.

In order to receive ITV4 + 1 you need either a Freesat box or a Virgin Media Cable TV box.

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 20:15 #4 

Zeb
What you want is a nice LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) ZT-T 190 Basil... ;)

You know it makes sense...

Sorry (but not surprised) about your 1.8.... :roll:

Btw....You need to see a Dr. about that tiredness.... :-|

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 21:40 #5 

JohnDotCom
kandyman wrote:ITV4 + 1 is no longer available on any SKY box.

In order to receive ITV4 + 1 you need either a Freesat box or a Virgin Media Cable TV box.

They had to put ITV 1+1 somewhere.
ITV 4 +1 on freesat so no problems.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 21:56 #6 

Tourerfogey
kandyman wrote:OMG this is bad news,

where has ITV4 + 1 gone ?

Oh and hope your car is ok.

:) That's my sort of forum response. Thanks for brightening an otherwise crap day Kandyman.

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 22:20 #7 

Tourerfogey
Zeb wrote:What you want is a nice LPG ZT-T 190 Basil... ;)

You know it makes sense...

Sorry (but not surprised) about your 1.8.... :roll:

Btw....You need to see a Dr. about that tiredness.... :-|

I'm too tired to go all the way to the Doctors . . .

Posted 17 Jan 2011, 22:20 #8 

Tourerfogey
Update:

Compression test shows nothing untoward - now hoping the problem is due to air in the cooling system . . .

Posted 19 Jan 2011, 22:02 #9