Bonnet switch by paul d

paul d
Hi all

I'm assuming (probably wrong) that the bonnet switch has a permenant live feed, or have i got it wrong?

Regards

Paul

Posted 23 Sep 2013, 21:11 #1 

Trebor
You've definitely got the bug now Paul, logic says the answer is yes as its part of the alarm circuit going back into the BCU (Body Control Unit), but maybe someone will confirm.

It is however very difficult to pull the switch out to expose the wiring once fitted as there are 2 clips that splay out and hold it firm, it is possible though
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 23 Sep 2013, 22:35 #2 

paul d
If you remember from the Nano Rob we found that mine was Knackered when we tried to test the alarm after fitting the BBUS, so when i replace it in the next day or so, i thought I WONDER...!!!!!!

Regards

Paul

Posted 24 Sep 2013, 04:58 #3 

Trebor
Yes the ideal opportunity then Paul and you can test to make sure
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 24 Sep 2013, 14:25 #4 

Duncan
Not a permanent live as such. Like many switches, the BCU is connected to the switch and pulls it high with a resistor. So if you measure it with a meter, you will find 12v (ish) but if you try to take any power, it will drop down and make the BCU think the bonnet is open.

Posted 24 Sep 2013, 17:07 #5 

paul d
Hi Duncan

See what your saying but the door switch idea worked without any issues, ok the drivers door is taking a little longer to sort. Just a time thing. So i just thought the bonnet idea would be the same. if heated washers jets were fitted would it work from them OR by running a seperate feed to a light under the bonnet

If the seperate feed were the prefered option would it be the be possible to wire it similar to the auxiliary socket in the armrest & use a small lght with a switch on it? Or where would you take a permanant live from (not direct from the battery).

Regards

Paul

Posted 24 Sep 2013, 21:37 #6 

Trebor
If it helps Paul there is a rubber grommet on the left of the bulkhead as you look from the front of the car with nothing passing through it, so easy to get into the cabin and pick up from there if needsbe
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 24 Sep 2013, 22:33 #7 

paul d
Trebor wrote:If it helps Paul there is a rubber grommet on the left of the bulkhead as you look from the front of the car with nothing passing through it, so easy to get into the cabin and pick up from there if needsbe

Sure does Rob. It will make picking up the power so much easier. It's a lot easier to get from cabin to engine bay than it is from cabin into the doors pal.

If It all works out I'll Do it properly rather than just with a bulb holder, Take some pics a la Arctic & do how to's for these if no-one objects.

Regards

Paul

Posted 25 Sep 2013, 03:04 #8 

kandyman
paul d wrote:
Trebor wrote:Take some pics a la Arctic & do how to's for these if no-one objects.

Regards

Paul

You take all the pictures you want theres no objections here.

Good Luck

Posted 25 Sep 2013, 13:54 #9 

paul d
Right then.!

Next week i'll do a how-to for both the puddle lights & the bonnet light as i've worked out how to wire it up, just got to sort out where to position light & switch.

Posted 25 Sep 2013, 16:41 #10 

takestock
My Great great grandfather is looking for you :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 25 Sep 2013, 20:21 #11 

paul d
In the words of Martha Reeves "Nowhere To Run" Eh Dave. LOL

Regards

Paul

Posted 26 Sep 2013, 06:00 #12