BMW Mk3 Sat Nav by TyphoonTT

• Related topics: (no related topics)

TyphoonTT
Hi guys.

Hoping to pick your brains for info on the BMW Mk3 unit over my now duff original rover unit.

Replacement unit part number is 65.90-6 915 035. Asking perhaps silly questions, but just don't want 2 broken units. :gmc:

Q1 Can this be plugged into the car straight away. i.e when car is awake just after unlocking? :em:

Q2 I understand there is a splash screen on BMW units. :confused: What's the easiest way to sort this
without me breaking it . :mrgreen:

Q3 Any other differences between units, and anything to look out for on top of the normal shutdown proceedure.

Thanks in advance guys.

Ben :)

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 19:21 #1 

MN190
TyphoonTT wrote:Hi guys.

Hoping to pick your brains for info on the BMW Mk3 unit over my now duff original rover unit.

Replacement unit part number is 65.90-6 915 035. Asking perhaps silly questions, but just don't want 2 broken units. :gmc:

Q1 Can this be plugged into the car straight away. i.e when car is awake just after unlocking? :em:

Q2 I understand there is a splash screen on BMW units. :confused: What's the easiest way to sort this
without me breaking it . :mrgreen:

Q3 Any other differences between units, and anything to look out for on top of the normal shutdown proceedure.

Thanks in advance guys.

Ben :)

I would recomend you shutdown properly and connect up with battery disconnected
Then connect battery.
Unit doesn't have to pushed back fully into mountings while you test.
If you have to disconnect always follow correct shutdown procedure.
There is a how to on the other side how to change sat nav screen (it may be on this side as well in the how to's)
Which rover unt are you changing from as you may also need to remove / disconnect seperate trimble unit as this is built into the mk3s.
There are also some instuctions on how to get split screen etc

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 21:16 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The splash screen pdf by Biggles is here:-

viewforum.php?f=143

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 21:32 #3 

MN190
Is this for a ZT?
If so I will look see if I still have the CD's from when I did mine.

Edit found the disc and a copy of V32 software.
If you PM me your address I will pop them in the post.
Although they worked fine in mine car and have been used on a couple of units the normal disclaimer stands that you would be using them at your own risk

Mark

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 21:42 #4 

TyphoonTT
MN190 wrote:I would recomend you shutdown properly and connect up with battery disconnected
Then connect battery.

Right, thanks. Will do that.

MN190 wrote:Unit doesn't have to pushed back fully into mountings while you test.

Unfortunately another repair I need to do. Metal brackets were sheered when I bought it. :(

MN190 wrote:If you have to disconnect always follow correct shutdown procedure.
There is a how to on the other side how to change sat nav screen (it may be on this side as well in the how to's)
Which rover unt are you changing from as you may also need to remove / disconnect seperate trimble unit as this is built into the mk3s.

Mine was originally a Mk3 I think ( YIB000260 ) so hopefully a straight swap.

MN190 wrote:There are also some instuctions on how to get split screen etc

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 22:23 #5 

TyphoonTT
Mick wrote:The splash screen pdf by Biggles is here:-

viewforum.php?f=143

Thanks Mick. ;) Ouchy. :em:

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 22:26 #6 

TyphoonTT
MN190 wrote:Is this for a ZT?
If so I will look see if I still have the CD's from when I did mine.

Edit found the disc and a copy of V32 software.
If you PM me your address I will pop them in the post.
Although they worked fine in mine car and have been used on a couple of units the normal disclaimer stands that you would be using them at your own risk

Mark

Thanks for your help much. Risks involved appreciated. What does the V32 software do/enable please? :em:

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 22:28 #7 

JohnDotCom
Very little extra for MK3 CD users mainly updates for MK4 DVD.
You should have split screen availabilty and I believe 5 digit postcode search. A few more information catagories, TMC is down to disc used and latest Navteq discs no longer incorporate it I'm afraid.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 23:50 #8 

TyphoonTT
Thanks John. Having a working sat nav will be a huge improvement. The post code search will be extra over what was available on the Rover unit, so that will be very handy. :)

Posted 13 Jan 2011, 00:12 #9 

MN190
You should have had 5 disc postcode facility on the Rover unit but this is down to the map disc

Posted 13 Jan 2011, 09:15 #10 

TyphoonTT
Hi guys.

Right. Installed sat nav this evening. After a few visits to the car, it seems to have settled down.

A couple of things if I may. :em:

No splash screen at all spotted as yet.

System doesn't show up any more options that I can see over my previous system.

i.e can't see where to enter postcodes etc.

I apologise for being slow on this. Never got any instructions with the car. :gmc:

Received PM Mark. Thanks for the offer, and as requested, I will make a donation to the club for your kind offer. :thumbsup:

Posted 13 Jan 2011, 20:21 #11 

MN190
Splash screen only comes on when you first unlock car and is only on briefly.
Suggest you lock up and leave for 5 minutes or so before unlocking and then getting in car. You should then see the splash screen if there is one.

To enter postcode enter the post code in the road/street you can only do the first 5 digits so not very accurate and depends on the disc you have.
If you select settings you may be able to see extra options that weren't available iirc

Upgrade instructions with screen shots
http://www.bimmernav.net/SatNav_Operati ... pgrade.pdf

Operating instructons - they are for a bmw but should help
http://www.stradasystems.com/bmw/navigationManual.pdf

Posted 13 Jan 2011, 20:47 #12 

TyphoonTT
MN190 wrote:Splash screen only comes on when you first unlock car and is only on briefly.
Suggest you lock up and leave for 5 minutes or so before unlocking and then getting in car. You should then see the splash screen if there is one.

No splash screen at present then.

MN190 wrote:To enter postcode enter the post code in the road/street you can only do the first 5 digits so not very accurate and depends on the disc you have.
If you select settings you may be able to see extra options that weren't available iirc

Only allows letters under street name. :confused: I have a NavTeq 2008 disc.

MN190 wrote:Upgrade instructions with screen shots
http://www.bimmernav.net/SatNav_Operati ... pgrade.pdf

Operating instructons - they are for a bmw but should help
http://www.stradasystems.com/bmw/navigationManual.pdf

Thanks for this info. Got some reading to do. :thumbsup:

Posted 13 Jan 2011, 21:40 #13 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks for the donation,'tis very much appreciated and will be put to good use.

Posted 13 Jan 2011, 21:56 #14