bmw hybrid tuner epic failure by Suffolk Man (Page 1 of 2)

Suffolk Man
a few days ago i was lucky to find one of these at a resonable price.so today fitted it but its has all gone pete tong big time.i will explain now i my blood pressure has dropped and have taken some prozac.b4 i fitted this i have a dvbt box with adaptors for the highline antennas.removed all this plugged in new box .but and big but what has happened is the outer casing of the tv module antennas has come of and is now stuck in the plugs.i think those adaptors damaged them i plugged them in to the new module did not feel right removed them and the outer bit came with it .so now i have a hybrid box with damaged connectors and a highline system with the outer sections of the hybrid tuner stuck in the plugs.the cure ?i have got another highline loom hoping the antenna wiring does not go all the way to front sure it does not.swap over the higline plugs.then the real fun take the hyrid tuner apart and replace the connectors.simples

Posted 24 Jun 2012, 15:19 #1 

Suffolk Man
turns out not to be so simples the tv module antenna conectors are soldered into pcb which to repair would need to be removed so we have soldered some wire onto the antenna connnectors chopped of the highline plugs which where had anyway and joined them up.it works but not happy with the result so much so i am now thinking of selling the car.buying a diesel club and leaving it alone ie not modding it in anyway whats so ever.as it is i was as much as i could do to stop myself driving it in to a lampost

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 14:50 #2 

Zeb
Phil...you need Jake to look at it....but you knew that...am sure it is solvable..

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 17:31 #3 

Suffolk Man
thanks carl but i have had enough of it.to fix this the whole thing would have to be taken apart and would require such equipment as as solder sucker.in order to release the board.unless any one was able to release twenty soldered joints at the same time.probally selling the ztt going to have a look at low miles r75 diesel this week with any luck

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 17:41 #4 

Zeb
Engine? Age? Mileage? etc. please....I KNOW I have seen it but.... :em:

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 18:15 #5 

Duncan
Solder rework I can do. But without seeing what the porblem is, I can't really offer any advice since I only have the analogue versions.

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 18:25 #6 

Suffolk Man
Zeb wrote:Engine? Age? Mileage? etc. please....I KNOW I have seen it but.... :em:

it is a gold 03 club diesel with 44 thousand on the clock

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 18:28 #7 

Suffolk Man
Duncan wrote:Solder rework I can do. But without seeing what the porblem is, I can't really offer any advice since I only have the analogue versions.
hi duncan the problem is the antenna plugs have broken. these in turn go into a zintec housing which is fixed to the main pcb.the antenna plugs are a press fit into this housing.to fix them the housing will have to be removed and the casing changed.we have at the moment soldered some wires onto the exsistng ones these however are not sheilded so often the picture breaks up i think due to interferance.some channels tho it is fine.at least i can get a picture now in all locations unlike the dvbt box which i found worked quite well if you where parked nxt to the sandy heath transmitter

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 18:34 #8 

JakeWilson
Phil,

Don't sell your car, any issues you have with the highline we can sort. Your car has wanted for nothing. Pointless getting rid of a top spec car for something poverty spec in comparison. I'd have dropped you a call but my phone has officially died.

We can swap the aerial cables in your highline loom without an issue. I am sorry that we couldn't look at it yesterday, ran out of time with only three days in the country.

If you can hang fire until I am back in the UK permenantly we will sort this. Hang fire for 3 weeks if you can.

Posted 01 Jul 2012, 20:43 #9 

Suffolk Man
thanks for all the replys.i will wait and see.needs more work this week with the only track rod end that has not been changed .yes you guessed it its donalded ducked.also changed the power steering cooling loop saturday.as this was kinked and had a broken bracket.steeering seems a lot lighter now funny that.note to ones self take the bumper of nxt time,just waiting now for the track rod end to turn up and skin to grow back on my arms.ps if all this seems a bit dramatic the tuner cost £400

Posted 02 Jul 2012, 12:27 #10 

Suffolk Man
well the track rod end turned up thet sent the wrong one rang them twice only to get cut of. twice.went to my local mgr dealer they have one in stock but cannot find it .ordered another be here tomorrow about sums it all up really

Posted 02 Jul 2012, 18:05 #11 

Suffolk Man
well the quest is coming together.just managed to get hold of the following.another 16.9 head unit this one has the hard to find cd player behind it most of these have a tape deck.also in this little lot a bm54 radio tuner to replace my bm24.the next item is another bmw hybrid tv tuner.and the last item a bmw bluetooth module which time permiting will also connect up.also have got hold of another highline loom to remove the antenna wiring.the other tv module can then be looked at later plus the bm 24 which cuts out now and a again.also with the new head unit the cd player in the glove box can be removed.so when its all fitted should be quite nice the price?thats between me and a man in germany

Posted 12 Jul 2012, 15:28 #12 

Duncan
I believe the faults on the BM24 are fairly easy to fix unlike the BM54.

Whatever you do, don't bin the old tuner. It's probably repairable!

Posted 12 Jul 2012, 16:00 #13 

Suffolk Man
no it will not be binned cost to much for that. anyway most of the time its fine just cuts out for a split second now and again and every now and then refused to turn of.

Posted 12 Jul 2012, 16:38 #14 

Suffolk Man
just a quick update to all of you who had the missfortune to have to read this drivel.new hybrid tuner in today.new antenna wiring replaced from the signal amps to the tv module .bm 54 radio module in and working.tv picture fantastic no interferance etc.just the head unit to fit over the weekend sorted

Posted 13 Jul 2012, 15:13 #15 

Suffolk Man
alls well thats ends well.my tv tuner has now been repaired thanks to jake for the courier service to the nano and and big thanks to duncan for the repair.however this unit is now surplus to requirements so will be up for sale soon details to follow

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 11:56 #16 

Suffolk Man
well thanks to a slight referance to the bmw hybrid tuner it is now sold thanks to everybody big hugs all round

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 19:05 #17 

Zeb
I just love a happy ending...:D

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 21:15 #18 

MN190
And after 5 minutes of work today the other tuner was used to change this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346960721.010290.jpg

To
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346960743.133545.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 06 Sep 2012, 19:50 #19 

JakeWilson
Nice! :-D

Posted 06 Sep 2012, 20:05 #20