Bmw engine by Mark.Taylor

Mark.Taylor
Hello there, I'm new to this site, only recently joined. I've just purchased a Rover 75 and have a few questions about the Bmw engine.
1. Does the engine have the notorious circulation valves in the inlet manifold that was so fateful on the BMW's ?
2. What oil do you recommend ?
3. Can I tune the engine to increase BHP a little ?

I am a fully qualified HGV mechanic and am very impressed by the car so far, very comfortable and easy to drive. One last thing, is the handbrake adjustable or self adjusting ?

Posted 07 Jan 2016, 20:51 #1 

Duncan
No there are no swirl valves to kill your engine! The engines can be remapped, up to around 160BHP. It depends what you have now as there are two versions available in production 116BHP and 131 BHP if I remember right.

EDIT:
Oh and the handbrake is not self adjusting. There's a 'how to' somewhere around that should help. There's also a weakness in the system that means they can be hard to adjust: the compensators can stretch. There are a number of solutions to this.

Posted 07 Jan 2016, 21:02 #2 

Devilish
Everyone has their own preference, you can use whatever good quality oil you wish that meets the spec, at least semi synthetic 10/40 should be used though MO.
I have only used fully synthetic oil for ages (GM 5/30) that is good for up to 10,000 miles. When you change fully synthetic oil you can tell the difference, there is never any crud or sediment in the bottom of the drain tray. I change oil in 4 diesel motors and SWMBOs petrol Scenic, I usually buy 20 X 5L at a time.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 10 Jan 2016, 05:05 #3 

Devilish
As far as tuning goes, my preference is the Synergy 2, it is plug and play, a Pierburg MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is a must and can be bought with the Synergy to save fiddling with the Bosch MAF settings, I have a Pipercross air filter that although not much, makes a difference also to me. A Synergy kit will set you back £300, no better or worse than a remap, but a remap cannot be unplugged/switched on/off, used on any 75, or taken off and sold. My Synergy has been on my last three 75's, I used to change my 75 every other year at least, so plug and play suited me best. More power = less throttle, so I have never noticed a difference in mpg. You will be very impressed with whichever tuning route you take, to me it is not just the throttle response, a standard 75, especially 116bhp, feels like it has a clogged air filter and unhappy.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Posted 10 Jan 2016, 06:20 #4