Black Pudding by Dave (Page 1 of 2)

Dave
Having today missed a chance of eating Black Pudding (See here] prompts me to ask.....

Does anyone else LOVE this amazing foodstuff?!

I have loved it since age four, when I my mum and dad used to get me some from Udall's Butchers in Coseley, West Midlands, where I was born

Sadly this butchers has long since gone and I've struggled for years to find any to match theirs... :cry: Most stuff seems good, but has too much rusk in it, not enough blood and nowhere near enough fat (nice white bits!)

If you have a local butchers who do good old-fashioned, non-euro style pudding, let me know - I'd love to try it!

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:12 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
First time I have tasted black pudding was today. Quite nice.:)

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:18 #2 

DeuxGazoles
I never used to mind it but was never crazy about it but then I had some really awful stuff & now I just can't face it at all :rolling:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:18 #3 

Dave
Mick wrote:First time I have tasted black pudding was today. Quite nice.:)

Quite nice?! It's amazing (well, the good stuff is!) You've got some catching up to do!

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:28 #4 

Dave
DeuxGazoles wrote:I never used to mind it but was never crazy about it but then I had some really awful stuff & now I just can't face it at all :rolling:

Well, if some kind soul on here can find me some "Black Nectar", perhaps you need to try again?!

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:29 #5 

Bernard
You just can't get the real stuff any more. :(

I used to love it, especially the white bits.

I'm always looking out for proper black pud.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:36 #6 

DeuxGazoles
We still have a few "proper" butchers round these parts I'll see what's available :mrgreen: but it'll take a lot to get me talked round to trying it again

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:43 #7 

takestock
Seemingly Volvo drivers have to eat it morning noon and night ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:48 #8 

DeuxGazoles
takestock wrote:Seemingly Volvo drivers have to eat it morning noon and night ;)

Oh yeah & who's going to enforce that?? :mrgreen:

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:54 #9 

Duncan
You still see the good stuff now and again. I think our localish butchers has some, will have a look next time we visit. Been a few years since I had any worth raving about I'm afraid.

In the meantime, quite different in not having the white fat bits, but IMHO just as lovely, is Kashanka (spelling suspect), Polish black pudding. Needs to be really fresh, though.

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:59 #10 

Ragman
Good stuff it great, trouble is it's hard to find, and the readily available stuff is dross

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 19:02 #11 

takestock
DeuxGazoles wrote:
takestock wrote:Seemingly Volvo drivers have to eat it morning noon and night ;)

Oh yeah & who's going to enforce that?? :mrgreen:

They have special Black Pudding petrol stations all over the country where they carry out spot checks. You must have seen them :confused:

Black Pudding Petrol stations
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 19:04 #12 

kandyman
I love it and been up in Scotland at the moment I'm eating it most days for breakfast :)

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 19:06 #13 

DeuxGazoles
takestock wrote:Black Pudding Petrol stations

Ah but I always buy my fuel from the supermarkets, I find it the Safeway :lol:

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 19:09 #14 

Mick
(Site Admin)
kandyman wrote:I love it and been up in Scotland at the moment I'm eating it most days for breakfast :)

Is it loaded with these fable white bits? :)

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 19:10 #15 

Bernard
Duncan wrote:In the meantime, quite different in not having the white fat bits, but IMHO just as lovely, is Kashanka (spelling suspect), Polish black pudding. Needs to be really fresh, though.

I had something in Czechoslovakia years ago. Imagine black pudding but only half cooked, still red and very runny. Had to mop it up with bread.

The things I used to do for our export drive!
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 19:12 #16 

Duncan
Did you not see the news item on the TV about this? They described quite well the 'ecky thump' squads employed for enforcement.

For anyone who doesn't understand the reference, search for 'The Goodies'.

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 19:14 #17 

raistlin
Food of the gods :)

Supermarket stuff is dreadful.

A butcher in Wolvo does an excellent BP though, complete with chunky white bits :D
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 19:17 #18 

Ragman
Bernard wrote:
Duncan wrote:In the meantime, quite different in not having the white fat bits, but IMHO just as lovely, is Kashanka (spelling suspect), Polish black pudding. Needs to be really fresh, though.

I had something in Czechoslovakia years ago. Imagine black pudding but only half cooked, still red and very runny. Had to mop it up with bread.

The things I used to do for our export drive!

Completely agree - some of the things I've eaten when 'on business' still makes me shudder - putrified shark I think has to be the worst

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 20:01 #19 

Dave
Seems I'm not the only one that hankers after the white bits!!

Btw. note that mention is made of cooking it. This is fine of course, but who, like me, prefers it "raw"?!

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 22:04 #20