Being cheeky with a 45 question but might be relevant to a 7 by PaulT

PaulT
A facelift 45 1.8 auto that keeps discharging its battery when left standing. I have read that the alternator can cause this. I disconnected the plug but left the actual ‘power’ cable attached (it looked as though the alternator would need removing to disconnect this. Should I have disconnected this cable and any other thoughts if it is not the alternator.

Thanks in advance
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 06:48 #1 

Duncan
If it is the alternator, it could be a failed diode and the main power cable could then cause a discharge. Saying that, I've not heard of an alternator doing this without giving other obvious symptoms.

You really need to get a meter on it and start removing fuses until the drain drops off.

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 07:55 #2 

PaulT
Did try with a meter from the cable to battery but the alarm went off!

Will find the sounder, disconnect it and then use the meter and start pulling fuses...now thinking about it I could use the resistance option and not involve the battery just find which fuse when pulled increases the resistance.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 08:30 #3 

Duncan
The resistance will be too low to get a helpful reading I'm afraid.

For the alarm to go off, you must have set it by locking the car I would expect. Should be no need to do this as the drain will probably be there with the car asleep too.

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 13:26 #4 

mh007
I had the same problem with my Renault Trafic Van.
Checked just about everything with a meter & no other symptoms, no voltage drop & Alternator charging fine.
I happened to be by the front of the van very early the other morning & heard a feint 'buzzing' sound from the front of the van.
After further investigation, I removed the Battery + cable from the Alternator & the noise stopped.
Fitted a new Alternator & now all is fine.

Posted 13 Jan 2012, 21:04 #5 

yl51hfb
The sounder is either under the coolant tank or the windscreen scuttle. I wouldnt rule out the alarm system on the later cars. Its not upto much and is well known to give trouble.

Posted 10 Feb 2012, 22:26 #6