BBQ Smoking by calibrax

calibrax
Been bitten by the barbecue bug, or more specifically smoking using a kettle barbecue, using what's called the "indirect method".

Basically you put all the charcoal on one side, and the food on the other with a drip pan underneath. Then you regulate the temperature (using the air vents) to between 200F - 250F and cook the food for more than 4 hours with the lid on most of the time, every so often spritzing the food with a spray of apple juice and water to ensure it remains moist and doesn't dry out.

I bought myself a Weber One Touch kettle barbecue the other day, and today is the big test... smoked pork spare ribs. I prepared the ribs yesterday by removing the "membrane" on the back, and rubbing the pork all over with American style mustard, and then applying a dry rub (brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt). Left in the fridge overnight to absorb the flavours. Fired up the barbecue at lunchtime today, had some small cumberland sausage rings to cook as well, so I did them for lunch, directly over the coals.

The barbecue in action :

After 1 hour of smoking I put the cumberlands on, and they only took 10 mins to cook... and the ribs were starting to look good!

Afetr four hours of smoking... 1.5 hours to go (just in time for the England match). Have just started to baste them with BBQ sauce. Ribs are looking absolutely scrummy!
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 17:26 #1 

calibrax
Forgot to mention, I put chunks of hickory wood on the coals for the smoke. :D
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 17:29 #2 

RRobson
calibrax wrote:Forgot to mention, I put chunks of hickory wood on the coals for the smoke. :D

did you forget twice ;) :gmc:
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 17:51 #3 

calibrax
Ready to eat :)

Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 18:24 #4 

Rammie
calibrax wrote:Ready to eat :)

They look really scrummie, made my tum rumble just looking at them ;)
Brian

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:22 #5 

zojosc
Gawd just read this post at 7.45am on a Sunday morning after an all day bender yesterday, and to say it made me go green is a giant understatement. :mrgreen:
I will come back later after several glasses of Andrews live salts and re-read the post to hopefully build up an appetite for Sunday lunch.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 06:59 #6