Battery Disconnected = 2 Issues by Mofo

Mofo
Posted this on t'other side, hope it's ok to post here for some feedback 8-)

After having some issues when trying to fit some fog lights, I gave up on that and then reconnected everything, including the battery which I had disconnected as I rummaged about.

Now - there are two new issues which are a bit weird.....

1) The Remote locking / unlocking now does not work. No response when I press either button on either of my two key fobs - it was working fine before the battery was disconnected. The only way now to lock/unlock is via the key in the door. I didn't touch the keyfobs or use the door locks whilst the battery was disconnected (this may, or indeed may not, be relevant).

2) The electric window switches on the drivers door have swapped over - when I press the switch to lower or raise the drivers window, the passenger one responds and vice versa. The passenger side switch works as normal. I did have a half baked theory that perhaps the switch was originally from a LHD car and thats why they had swapped over - I still have the original one in the loft with a knackered switch. (Replaced due to some damage with one bought on fleabay)

Help!!

I'm just wondering if there is anyway to "resync" the remotes with the car, or if a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session is inevitable? I still need to finish off my original job which was to fit the front fogs, almost there but one damn wire missing spoilt the whole job :evil:

Would appreciate any advice on this, cheers peeps.

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 20:54 #1 

DeuxGazoles
Trust you :mrgreen:
That's very odd though Chris, try disconnecting the battery again for a good half hour & then reconnect & see what happens. There is a way to resynch the remotes but sadly I'm not sure how, I know it involves pressing the buttons 4 times in quick succession but only on a wednesday afternoon if it's slightly cloudy :gmc:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 20:57 #2 

DeuxGazoles
Oh & what went wrong with the fogs?

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:00 #3 

Mofo
Everything got fitted fine, connected the loom to the connector under the wing, everything bar the fogs worked. Took me a few minutes to work it out, then realised the connector to the fusebox was missing the wire that feeds the fogs. Not even taped up and hidden out the way - just missing full stop. So for the moment refitted bumper with original loom on, and will most likely just buy this and do it that way.

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:13 #4 

DeuxGazoles
Where does this connector go to? :confused: is it between the grey multiplug & the underbonnet fusebox? if so don't waste your money just pop it up here & I'm sure we can sort it ;)

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:20 #5 

Mofo
DeuxGazoles wrote:Where does this connector go to? :confused: is it between the grey multiplug & the underbonnet fusebox? if so don't waste your money just pop it up here & I'm sure we can sort it ;)

That's exactly it - between the plug and the fusebox. I'd appreciate any help on this, want to get it done and sorted so I can concentrate on my two new issues :lol:

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:22 #6 

Dallas
Chris! I have a simply and silly suggestion for you regarding the central locking :gmc: have you checked fuse ?

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:25 #7 

Mofo
Dallas wrote:Chris! I have a simply and silly suggestion for you regarding the central locking :gmc: have you checked fuse ?

Pulled and checked - no problems found. It's a bit of an odd one, so not sure what else to try.

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:29 #8 

DeuxGazoles
Mofo wrote:
DeuxGazoles wrote:Where does this connector go to? :confused: is it between the grey multiplug & the underbonnet fusebox? if so don't waste your money just pop it up here & I'm sure we can sort it ;)

That's exactly it - between the plug and the fusebox. I'd appreciate any help on this, want to get it done and sorted so I can concentrate on my two new issues :lol:

I'll see if I can find the proceedure for re-synchronising key fobs, giz a minnit ;)

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:33 #9 

DeuxGazoles
Re-synchronise key fob

Right then chief if a battery reset fails to cure it try this

1 Make sure that the driver's door is closed and unlocked. Unlock using the key if necessary.

2 Press the lock button four times.

3 When the BCU (Body Control Unit) receives the fourth consecutive correct transmission from the handset, the BCU will re-synchronise to the current EEPROM code and perform the lock request made by the fourth button press. This will be confirmed by the sill button going down.

4 If any of the four handset transmissions are invalid, another four correct transmissions will be required before the BCU will re-synchronise.

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:38 #10 

Mofo
DeuxGazoles wrote:Right then chief if a battery reset fails to cure it try this

1 Make sure that the driver's door is closed and unlocked. Unlock using the key if necessary.

2 Press the lock button four times.

3 When the BCU receives the fourth consecutive correct transmission from the handset, the BCU will re-synchronise to the current EEPROM code and perform the lock request made by the fourth button press. This will be confirmed by the sill button going down.

4 If any of the four handset transmissions are invalid, another four correct transmissions will be required before the BCU will re-synchronise.

We can try that tomorrow - cheers Col, you are a gent :D

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 21:53 #11 

DeuxGazoles
Well print those instructions of cos I'll never remember by tomorrow :gmc:

Posted 24 Apr 2011, 22:02 #12 

Duncan
A very odd one, though I have heard of it once before. Martin's (Merl) car does the same if the battery is disconnected, at least his windows swap sides.

I would expect the problem is that the BCU has lost it's ZCS (coding) data, but maybe Martin can confirm how he gets his sorted when it happens.

Could you add your location to your profile, as there might be someone local who can advise on a T4 location if it turns out you need one.

Posted 25 Apr 2011, 08:45 #13 

Mofo
Duncan wrote:A very odd one, though I have heard of it once before. Martin's (Merl) car does the same if the battery is disconnected, at least his windows swap sides.

I would expect the problem is that the BCU has lost it's ZCS (coding) data, but maybe Martin can confirm how he gets his sorted when it happens.

Could you add your location to your profile, as there might be someone local who can advise on a T4 location if it turns out you need one.

Cheers Duncan,

At least I know the window issue is not unheard of, which is somewhat reassuring. Be interesting to see how Martin resolves it, I wonder if it is a simple fix?

I do have a T4 session lined up, which should hopefully shed some light on the situation.

Thanks for replying ;)

Posted 25 Apr 2011, 13:01 #14 

Mofo
Thanks to a T4 session, all is resolved.

The fault with the windows was cleared by removing a fault code for them -this restored them to normal working order.

The keyfob issue was that, although the car was reciving the signal from them, it was not responding - reporting that they were disabled. Luckily, after going through some options, they were re-enabled and now work correctly again.

Posted 25 Apr 2011, 19:01 #15 

Duncan
How odd.

Good for future refernce, though. Do you remember what the fault was?

Posted 25 Apr 2011, 19:20 #16 

TyphoonTT
I also had the central locking issue with mine after I disconnected the battery to resolve an IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) problem. No response from the car using the fob whatsoever. IPK problem sorted, but no fob locking. Tried re-sync and still nothing. Disconnected the battery again for another half hour or so. Re connected and everything back to normal. Very strange. :confused:

Posted 01 May 2011, 17:28 #17 

Mofo
Duncan wrote:How odd.

Good for future refernce, though. Do you remember what the fault was?

Unfortunatley I do not - in hindsight I should have made a note of it for future reference.

Posted 01 May 2011, 21:00 #18