Bad news -Good news? by Chartermark

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Chartermark
Blessed air-bag warning light decided to turn itself on today after start up. Classic red light off on ignition circuit, then goes off for 5 secs when started, then comes on and stays on.

The good news is it's decided to have this conniptive little fit, 18 days before the MOT's due?

Will one of the gadgets below sort it out? I seem to get an icon illumination, 3 or 4 times a year now, so if it turns the damn things off, it saves T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) costs and the inconvenience too.

I should add that to date that of all the thinngs the tell-tales report, only ever bulbs have proven factual, the rest were all 'false alarms'.

Altogether a pretty seedy piece of kit, must have been Chinese!

Ebay item
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-UNIVER ... 2eb27226cb

Many thanks,

Martin

Posted 28 Nov 2011, 17:59 #1 

Bernard
No, it will only do engine faults.

Have the under seat connectors been attended to?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 28 Nov 2011, 18:54 #2 

Chartermark
Hello Bernard,

I've never touched them personally, do they work loose or come apart, I take it they're connector blocks?

Martin

Posted 28 Nov 2011, 21:23 #3 

Bernard
They are a very common source of fault indications and at the least, need reseating or hard-wiring out of the circuits. Nano Meet job maybe?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 28 Nov 2011, 22:19 #4 

kandyman
If you look under the drivers seat you should see a yellow 2 pin connector, you can give theses a wiggle to make sure there pushed home firmly or you can cut the yellow plug off and replace with a spade type connector.

You could try popping along to one of the auto electrician and see if they will help you out.

Posted 28 Nov 2011, 22:25 #5 

Chartermark
Attached a pic of the underseat scene. Is the probable offending connector the one on the extreme left hand side with the yellow wires?

I've bought some connector cleaner from ebay as well. Attempting this will be impossible for me, so I'll have to wait till someone with all attachments working can pull them apart and snap em together again. Just wanted to be sure I was remedying the right circuit!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 28 Nov 2011, 22:26 #6 

Duncan
There are two yellow connectors, the one you mention and another closer to the centre of the seat with blue wires. It could be either of those, or the same on the passenger side. A T4 would tell you which ones, or it could even be another somewhere, though the front seat ones are the most common. Personally I would not reccomend replacing with spade connectors as you lose the safety link in the connector. Just unplugging and replugging a few times should clean the contacts enough without contact cleaner, as they are gold plated terminals anyway.

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 22:59 #7 

Chartermark
Thanks Duncan,

A friends going to have a go on Saturday ...

Martin

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 00:00 #8 

Duncan
OK, good luck. Make sure ignition is off and been off for a good twenty minutes before starting work, though some reccomend complete battery disconnection for an hour.

You have to squeeze a part of the connectors to allow them to undo, don't squeeze too hard or this bit breaks and then they can drop out.

I think the yellow wires are the pretensioner, the blue ones the side airbag looking at your photo. If I'm right its taken from behind the drivers seat?

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 13:45 #9 

Chartermark
Thanks Duncan,

I'll post the results, the passenger seat had been moved prior to the icon illumination so we'll try both seats.

The picture isn't mine actually, it's a driver's seat, taken from behind though. I take it the Facelift isn't any different from the Mk1 anyway?

Regards,

Martin

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 16:26 #10 

Duncan
That's a picture of a later car. There was a change at some point from some bigger connectors to the ones in that photo. Not sure when the change happened, so some Mk1s may well have them. My early facelift certainly does.

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 19:03 #11 

Chartermark
Today, my pal reached underneath the passenger seat, both connectors soundly tight after a squeeze. Under the driver's seat however the one on the left as you view my picture gave a lod click as it was 'coerced' into union once more. The right hand one was loose too.

Upon restart, the warning icon stayed off!

I suppose my seat does get a lot of movement, with the remote control facility, and it might be a good idea to perform the 'spade' soldered upgrade at some distant nano?

Thanks for the advice everyone, as always much appreciated this end ...

Martin

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 21:58 #12 

Duncan
Chartermark wrote:Today, my pal reached underneath the passenger seat, both connectors soundly tight after a squeeze. Under the driver's seat however the one on the left as you view my picture gave a lod click as it was 'coerced' into union once more. The right hand one was loose too.

Upon restart, the warning icon stayed off!

That's good news and sounds like the problem.

I suppose my seat does get a lot of movement, with the remote control facility, and it might be a good idea to perform the 'spade' soldered upgrade at some distant nano?

Martin

I would suggest using cable ties to make sure the connectors are physically held in place. If you do decide on the soldered connections, please give me fair warning when it's being done.

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 20:18 #13 

Dave Goody
Hi Martin, sorry only just seen this, if you get a problem like this again PM me. I know you come my way regularly but I can come to you if you get a problem Dave

Posted 22 Dec 2011, 21:38 #14