Automatic boot opener by stroheim (Page 1 of 6)

stroheim
I was reading on another forum about about the possibly of an automatic boot opener that would raise the boot lid with the remote that's standard on some cars. I know the MK2's can unlock the boot together with Paul's Mk1 mod. I think this would be a good mod and perhaps the wizards amongst you could think of a possible solution

Posted 12 May 2012, 10:19 #1 

kandyman
This would be a good mod to have.

Posted 12 May 2012, 13:40 #2 

Bolin
Interesting - so not just unlocking the boot but raising the lid too.

I assume wiring in some sort of acuator with a rod/cable linkage to the lid itself would work - perhaps something with a motor and cable reel near the front edge of boot lid that winds in the cable, pulling the lid up, if such a thing exists?

I will be getting remote unlocking on my Mk1 saloon soon by fitting a facelift BCU (Body Control Unit), perhaps the opener could be combined with this for those who have a Mk1 and want the lid to open from the remote.

Posted 12 May 2012, 16:59 #3 

SpongeBob
What about something as simple as increasing the strength of the springs already present on the lid that aid in lifting it's weight? The gas dampers already in place may be sufficient to slow down the movement so it doesn't just re-bound upright.

My boss's S-Type boot lid automatically opens and it appears nothing more complex than a spring and a damper that pull the lid upright once the latch is released.

Posted 12 May 2012, 17:21 #4 

Duncan
I only know of a couple of types of opener, but they can also close the boot. These are motor powered and quite complex.

However for opening only, it would depend on how far it needs to move before the gas struts would take over. Some kind of push mechanism on unlatching, that retracts once the boot is fully opened so you don't struggle to shut it again.

Posted 13 May 2012, 17:13 #5 

takestock
Duncan wrote:
However for opening only, it would depend on how far it needs to move before the gas struts would take over. Some kind of push mechanism on unlatching, that retracts once the boot is fully opened so you don't struggle to shut it again.

Suzubu and i had a quick look at remote boot opening only last year, We looked at doubling up on the existing dampers or an increased resistance damper. as said above, we were advised of the difficulties of closing the boot etc by the manufacturers of the uprated dampers. Doesn't mean it cannot be done though, good luck with it and please let us know how it goes. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 May 2012, 17:24 #6 

PaulT
Beware the power of the struts.

One of my struts failed on my tourer. The effect was that the mounting for the working strut tore out.

What would happen by fitting stronger struts
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 May 2012, 12:24 #7 

Bermudan 75
Automatic Boot Opener : Wife :gmc:

Posted 14 May 2012, 21:20 #8 

takestock
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 May 2012, 18:15 #9 

kandyman
Nice mod, whose is it and can I have one ;)

Posted 15 May 2012, 21:30 #10 

Clifford
I looked at doing this a while back, I think springs are definitely the way to go, rather than uprated struts. I've seen it done on a VW Bora using a similar system to the one on that 75. It would be nice to know whose that is!

Posted 16 May 2012, 07:45 #11 

takestock
steve916 next door has been working on it,
Stats are:

The spring dimensions are 220mm length x 4mm wire x 21mm internal diameter, 29mm outside diameter. its approx 176.75 newtons.They compress down to 120mm when boot closes.
The steel spacer at the top of the strut, in the video, needs to be 35mm long.
2 penny washers and a washer for the end of the spacer.

Looks like Steve will be doing a kit,will keep you informed ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 May 2012, 16:01 #12 

raistlin
I'll have some of that please :lol: I was working on an electrical actuator but that video looks brilliant.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 May 2012, 16:47 #13 

kandyman
If a list gets going can my name be added :)

Posted 16 May 2012, 17:01 #14 

takestock
Had a few pm's with Steve, looks like he will be offering an exchange set up, cost for a pair looks to be around £20. I will keep you informed ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 May 2012, 17:48 #15 

Duncan
Might be worth having a butchers at the Stabilus website, as they appear to do systems that replace the gas struts and drive both ways.

I like this solution, though.

Posted 16 May 2012, 18:14 #16 

kandyman
takestock wrote:Had a few pm's with Steve, looks like he will be offering an exchange set up, cost for a pair looks to be around £20. I will keep you informed ;)

That's a good price, I'll have a set for that cost.

Another plus this would get rid of the machine gunning that happens sometimes on our cars.

Posted 16 May 2012, 18:35 #17 

SpongeBob
That does indeed look an like an excellent (and simple) mod. :thumbsup: :)

Posted 16 May 2012, 20:47 #18 

takestock
Steve is progressing with these. here it is probably looking like the finished article, covered in shrink wrap.
Remember the weight of a spoiler etc may hinder the operation as yet, this will hopefully be tested quite soon.

Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 May 2012, 21:36 #19 

kandyman
I like the heat shrink it gives it the oem look.

Posted 16 May 2012, 23:24 #20