Automatic boot opener by stroheim (Page 2 of 6)

raistlin
As a matter of interest, this mod has generated some enquiries regarding remote operation of the boot opening on a Mk1 car.

This would be a very simple job to do, taking perhaps 30 minutes in total and would merely require the purchase of a single channel remote of the type seen on fleabay,LIKE THIS if the Ultimate Remote mod wasn't required. Obviously, the Ultimate Remote mod includes this function as a bonus because the remotes used have the required spare channel.

Perhaps that point could be made next door on the mirror thread to this one by somebody?

If anybody wants to do so when the brilliant boot opening mod becomes available but is not sure, it goes without saying that I'd be happy to help, either with instructions or actually doing the job :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 17 May 2012, 19:16 #21 

takestock
;) ;) :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 17 May 2012, 20:32 #22 

JakeWilson
Will the kit being developed work on the tourer tailgate?

Posted 17 May 2012, 20:38 #23 

kandyman
Waiting for a group buy list to be started. ;)

Posted 17 May 2012, 21:06 #24 

takestock
So far: Steve is now having bespoke springs made so as not to over stress the hinge assy, he will be looking at the possibility of the tourer, no promises :)

Due to the cost of the bespoke springs this is how it adds up to date

His Material Prices are approx:
Springs £10 each
M6 washers £1 for 6
42mm shrink wrap £2
Plastic insets for spring £1
Metal spacers 50p each

Postage works out at around £4.25

total £29:25

So he is looking @£30 posted exchange.

still worth it in my mind, I will be having a pair

There may be an option for him to send a kit out for people to assemble them selves. Not difficult and would save the cost of sending your dampers to him. :)

more info as I get it :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 17 May 2012, 21:14 #25 

kandyman
Thanks for the update :)

yes the cost is still worth it and I will be having a set and I have a set of damper and hinges on there way to me so I am all ready :)

Posted 17 May 2012, 21:36 #26 

pob06
Its a top looking mod, good work by steve. I've got my name down for a pair.

Will also keep eye out next door (as is Dave) and shout when the list goes up.
Despite the high cost of living its still proving popular.

Posted 17 May 2012, 23:47 #27 

persuer
looks good but my question may need to be in another thread so be nice lol. I have a boot rack fitted so would they be strong enough to lift the lid and rack, Also what electrical thingymajigs would I need to make it all auto because I was looking at the ultimate remote but do I need anything else apart from that?. Sorry if it is a noob question :)

Posted 18 May 2012, 08:07 #28 

raistlin
persuer wrote:I was looking at the ultimate remote but do I need anything else apart from that?

Richard,

I can't answer the question about the added weight on your boot-lid as I'm a well known mechanical numpty :lol:

However, if the car in question is a Mk1, then fitting the Ultimate Remote would have the added benefit that the boot opening could be made to operate remotely as well with nothing further required as there would be at least one spare channel on the remote.

If you don't want to have the Ultimate Remote, the boot opening could be made to work remotely with the use of a single (or more) channel remote, some of which are available from fleabay for £5 - £6 and about 30 minutes work.

As you're only in Sedgeley, If you're unsure about tackling wiring and messing with the BCU (Body Control Unit), you could come over to my place and I'd do the work for you (at no charge, as usual) :)

Hope that helps :)
Paul

Posted 18 May 2012, 09:54 #29 

Last edited by raistlin on 18 May 2012, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

persuer
Thanks for you reply and offer of help Paul and I will take you up on the offer of help because when i make something electrical work on a car normally 10 other things stop working. :lol:

Posted 18 May 2012, 10:12 #30 

Trebor
persuer wrote:Thanks for you reply and offer of help Paul and I will take you up on the offer of help because when i make something electrical work on a car normally 10 other things stop working. :lol:

He has obviously met Christine Paul !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 18 May 2012, 17:22 #31 

raistlin
Christine has sometimes been... challenging Rob :lol:
Paul

Posted 18 May 2012, 17:51 #32 

Duncan
I think Christine started to get upset when the battery backed sounder was fitted and she was put on an 'early' testbook disc that didn't understand the later cars.

Posted 18 May 2012, 17:59 #33 

kandyman
I now have a spare set of hinges and dampers ready for the off :)

Posted 19 May 2012, 11:27 #34 

Merl
This is something that definitely interests me as I have started sometimes to struggle lifting mine and we have talked about the ultimate remote mod in the past but I'm an awkward bugger who likes to struggle... been often called stubborn! Even though I have a spoiler and sometimes the cb mag mount I think even if the springs didn't lift it fully it would help lighten the load of opening the boot to be useful :)
Martin

Posted 19 May 2012, 11:36 #35 

Wutang
to all those interested the list is now live over on the club site, steve is offering 2 options, option 1 is the diy kit, option 2 is the strut exchange service both options £30.

anyone not a member over there i am sure that any of us who are can pass on details.

Rastlin, looking at fitting on of your remote devices, quick question, dose two shot opening have to be disabled? or if i went for a single channel seperate just for the boot can you advise on where to connect in to bcu harness.

Richard

Posted 19 May 2012, 12:37 #36 

kandyman
Can someone add my name over there for the exchange option.

Thanks

Posted 19 May 2012, 12:51 #37 

Wutang
hi kandyman, you are on the list, steve said he has been talking to dave (stocktake) about liasing with over here, worst case scenario i will send the details to you when steve gets to you on the list.

steve reckons he will be doing 10 sets per week as he also has to work.

Richard

Posted 19 May 2012, 13:37 #38 

Merl
Think I am going to have to speak to paul about getting the ultimate remote mod and then getting a set of these as the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

Just wondering has he tried these on a boot with the key? just wondering as if you need to use the key for any reason what are the dangers of it snapping the key? ie not removing it in time... it looks like there is time after the initial pop and if you can hold it down? or just let go of the key and let the boot take it up.
Martin

Posted 19 May 2012, 13:46 #39 

kandyman
Wutang wrote:hi kandyman, you are on the list
Richard

Many thanks Richard

Posted 19 May 2012, 14:03 #40