Auto-unlock when ignition is turned off. by SpongeBob

SpongeBob
Okay, let me explain...

My car has speed-locking (where the doors lock as you drive away) unfortunately they do not unlock again! I know this is a design thing by Rover but it does seem daft they you have to double-pull the handle to get out of the car. It's not a huge problem but for passengers it's a tad confusing as they think they're stuck! :lol:

I was thinking about some sort of clever box that would, upon loss of an ignition feed, send a momentary ground signal on the wire that connects the central door lock button thus unlocking all the doors when you turn the ignition off.

Ideas on how this could be accomplished? I've no talent for building complex circuits so it's either got to be simple or someone else has to build one for me, lol! :gmc:

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 19:36 #1 

takestock
Can you just hear Paul's brain gently slipping into gear.............
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 19:43 #2 

Rammie
Had speed locking but had to get it taken off as my wife was always trapping the skin on her arm by resting it on the button prior to the start of a journey and then the button grabbed her skin and sucked it into the hole when it locked. :em:

She has had some very nasty bruises as a result. :roll:
Brian

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 20:24 #3 

Duncan
What would be even nicer, is unlocking when you pull the key out. Oh, and the radio staying on unil you do.

However, there's no switch to detect this, and I can't see a way to add it. I have thought about it as our other cars do this, and the lack of autounlock is one thing I do miss.

For earlier cars, it wouldn't be hard to do a bit of logic that 'presses' the unlock switch in the console every time the ignition is turned off. For later cars you could do something similar, but if the car was already unlocked, it would lock it, which would be a pain.

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 21:11 #4 

SpongeBob
I had thought about the differences between Mk1 and Mk2 BCU (Body Control Unit)'s. What about the signal transmitted by the remote control fob? Could that be utilised anyhow does anyone know?

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 21:39 #5 

Mad-Monkey
I had another idea for paul's trickery. I've discovered if I unlock my car and dont open the door, after a minute it relocks thinking the key has been accidently pushed in a pocket/bag. Confused the hell out of me the first time I did it :)

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 21:56 #6 

raistlin
How about using the same unlock pulse that we use in the ultimate remote Duncan? That won't alternately lock and unlock?

Should be simple to use an ignition controlled discriminant to trip a relay momentarily to earth?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 11 Oct 2010, 21:57 #7 

Duncan
raistlin wrote:How about using the same unlock pulse that we use in the ultimate remote Duncan? That won't alternately lock and unlock?

Should be simple to use an ignition controlled discriminant to trip a relay momentarily to earth?

I think I'm getting confuzzled. Don't we use an unlock pulse generated by the car, to operate something else (folding mirroros and so on). The other way round to what we want.

I thought about the alternate lock / unlock problem a bit.

Earlier cars it's no problem anyway.
Where the car does have the single switch, you would only fit this circuit if you had speed locking switched on. So in theory, the car would always be locked when you switch off the ignition. If you hadn't driven anywhere, or if you had manually unlocked it, it would then lock, but not as much of a pain as it seemed first.
To make it completely 'right' we could monitor the 'unlock' pulse and 'lock' pulse, and effectively know whether the car is locked or not, and only trip the relay on ignition on to off, if it is locked.
However it's got to be very reliable, to make sure it never, ever locks you out.

Regarding David's autorelock function. It's quite a common feature nowadays, though the time period varies. Hardest bit would be to be very sure that none of the doors have been opened before relocking.

Posted 12 Oct 2010, 16:29 #8 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:I think I'm getting confuzzled. Don't we use an unlock pulse generated by the car, to operate something else (folding mirroros and so on). The other way round to what we want.

No mate. BCU C0660/27 (see my ultimate remote how-to). A quick switch of that line to earth will do the trick :) It's the lazy vent line to the BCU.
Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2010, 17:42 #9 

raistlin
SpongeBob wrote:Ideas on how this could be accomplished?

Built, tested and working :mrgreen:
Paul

Posted 12 Oct 2010, 21:49 #10 

Duncan
raistlin wrote:
Duncan wrote:I think I'm getting confuzzled. Don't we use an unlock pulse generated by the car, to operate something else (folding mirroros and so on). The other way round to what we want.

No mate. BCU C0660/27 (see my ultimate remote how-to). A quick switch of that line to earth will do the trick :) It's the lazy vent line to the BCU.

Got you.

No need to say 'that would work' as your next post shows it does.

Another mod for my list.....

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 16:26 #11 

raistlin
Simon,

Do you want this?

If so, I'll develop a module. it will have 4 connections:-

1. 12 Volts
2. Earth
3. Ignition controlled 12 volts
4. BCU C0660/27

Would take about 10 minutes to fit.
Paul

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 19:17 #12 

SpongeBob
Paul - that would be a perfect solution I reckon. I've yet to buy an ultimate-remote module if that is of any help. Please PM details of costs so I can reimburse you.

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 20:21 #13 

raistlin
SpongeBob wrote:Paul - that would be a perfect solution I reckon.

Duncan and I are kicking around some circuit ideas. It will probably be simple enough to use an analog circuit with a few discrete components rather than programming a PIC.
Paul

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 20:46 #14 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:Built, tested and working :mrgreen:

:thumbsup:

Posted 13 Oct 2010, 23:34 #15 

phenonix
raistlin wrote:
SpongeBob wrote:Ideas on how this could be accomplished?

Built, tested and working :mrgreen:

I'd be interested in one when your up and running Paul :D

Posted 14 Oct 2010, 08:02 #16