Auto gear box - clunking by Bermudan 75 (Page 4 of 4)

Bermudan 75
Thanks Duncan, Is that the one about 2-3 inches in diameter and runs forward towards the top of the radiator and then down towards the bottom of the radiator? I loosened this at the top but it would not move or so I thought. What is the best way to push this pipe firmly home?

Posted 06 Feb 2012, 19:18 #61 

Duncan
It sounds like it from your description. There are two hoses, the inlet and outlet. The outlet goes to the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) valve and it's help by a jubilee type clip so shouldn't come off. Can't remember what the inlet connection looks like, but it comes from the outlet of the turbo. None of them are just push fit, though.

Posted 06 Feb 2012, 20:27 #62 

Bermudan 75
I will spray some WD40 on the quarter inch that it has moved forwards, from what you have said I am pretty sure that this is the cause of the problem.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001960

Item 5 is the hose in question.

Posted 06 Feb 2012, 20:34 #63 

takestock
Any more news on this?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 10 Feb 2012, 17:09 #64 

Bermudan 75
Car died on a road test, gearbox change is nice and smooth though. RAC man said fuel pump had failed, hardly any fuel coming out of fuel line. Car was recovered to M&R Motors of Macclesfield, diagnosis confired, possible intank and u/b pumps u/s.

Under bonnet pump had been playing up. M&R said that the intank pump probably failed a while backand the u/b pump has just been over worked.

Car not yet fixed, M&R were fully booked for this week.

Posted 10 Feb 2012, 18:35 #65 

Bermudan 75
Collected car this afternoon, both pumps replaced, car back to it's original state, drives nicely and in need of a good clean inside and out. :cheers:

Posted 22 Feb 2012, 00:48 #66 

takestock
Saved yourself a small fortune with the replacement of the solenoid. :) I bet the Know how is great with all the pictures and all :D
Joking aside, followed this gearbox fault with interest as it could happen to anyone with an auto and it's all too easy for the garage to say "new gearbox mate" :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Feb 2012, 08:27 #67 

Bermudan 75
Hi Jake,

Checking solenoids is very easy, especially if you remove the cellophane from your multimeter battery. Replacing the solenoid is not as complex as some people would make out. No need to remove intercooler pipes etc, just small hands and thin arms. :lol:

I will post up a 'How to' when I get a chance.

Thanks for the info you posted about checking the solenoids.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 17:17 #68 

simondhastie
Hi new to forum and have auto 75 with gearbox fault aswell, after a booster start the car will now not change up past 1st and sympton is when it should change the car actually seems to brake, reverse is perfect! Have fault code of ECU (Engine Control Unit) T1650 really lost any help greatly appreciated.

Posted 01 Mar 2013, 18:25 #69 

Bermudan 75
Hi Simon, welcome to the Community, the fault could be the solenoids which are easily checked. Another cause could also be a piston within the gearbox, although someone with greater knowledge than myself will be able to advise you more accurately.

Posted 01 Mar 2013, 19:09 #70 

Bermudan 75
Discovered today that there is a leak of auto transmission fluid. I know that a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) is required when the fluid is changed but is there a way to simply check the level and keep it topped up?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 17:06 #71 

Duncan
You should use a T4, but it's only to check the temperature of the oil. Short term, I'd say you won't have a problem judging the temperature (35 to 45C) while topping up. The level is checked by removing a level plug and topping up until fluid comes out of the level plug.

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 17:13 #72 

Bermudan 75
Thanks Duncan, I assume that the temperate is the normal running temperate?

Mike

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 17:15 #73 

Duncan
I'd expect running temperature to be a fair bit higher actually. On some cars, the gearbox oil is cooled by the coolant,(antifreeze) so it's running temperature must be more than the 100C ish of the coolant. This is done by having the auto box oil cooler built into the radiator. Causes all sorts of fun when the two mix! The water in the coolant causes the clutch plates in the 'box to break up, not to mention the bearings in the box suffering badly. On the car I had that had seen the problem, it even caused the power steering fluid to leak badly, but never appear on the drive!!

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 17:22 #74 

Philaustin
Does this thread relate to the auto gearbox in a 2002 diesel 75?

Posted 22 Apr 2017, 12:41 #75 

Bermudan 75
No, pretty close though, a September 2003 model.

Posted 22 Apr 2017, 17:37 #76 

Bermudan 75
Well eleven years on and I am finally getting around to sorting our the small leak from the the gearbox cover.

Instead of using an 'instant gasket' product I am fitting the Duraprene gasket from JPAT. But before fitting the gasket and replacing the cover (bolts to 7nm) I will check the operation of the other solenoids.

Posted 09 Apr 2023, 10:34 #77