Auto box harsh changes by Borg Warner

Borg Warner
The solution to the harsh changes on the Jatco boxes are well documented here and elsewhere: fluid changes and brake duty solenoid the accepted solutions. Despite having had both done on my Freelander; the early morning, cold running, issue of harsh changes remained, but somewhat less often and not so noticeable. Contemplating a further fluid change, I saw, on one of the Landy sites, a fellow owner suggest removing the fuse feeding the box, switching the ignition on for 10 minutes, turning it off and replacing the fuse. This I did. I know have seamless changes! So what has this done and, more importantly, how has is it done it? Has anyone on here done or heard of this solution before?

Gary M.

Posted 19 Jun 2014, 17:28 #1 

takestock
I am told removing the fuse resets the autobox ECU (Engine Control Unit) ( BigRuss) out of interest to save me routing around, which fuse is it?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 19 Jun 2014, 18:19 #2 

Borg Warner
On the Freelander it's fuse 4 in the under bonnet fuse box.

Gary M.

Posted 19 Jun 2014, 19:36 #3 

takestock
Thankyou kindly sir :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 20 Jun 2014, 19:15 #4 

RRobson
A speed sensor will also play havoc with gear changes if it's stopped working. Not a common failure but it does happen now and again. There are three in total and two are in the 'bell housing' so it's a gearbox out job to change them. But like the solenoid, they are easily diagnosed.
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 09 Jul 2014, 07:07 #5