Attaching Door Finishers..... by RhodieBill

RhodieBill
Hi, first of all sorry if this is the wrong section, I was going to put it in Technical, but decided it wasn't really right, so put it here....

The question is, is that I want to know which is the best way to attach Door Finishers, either 'Clear Silicone' (like aquarium tank sealant) or, 'Trim Tape', the proper thin black type with green backing? I've been told the sealant is best, which I tend to agree with, it's just that I've always used Trim Tape in these instances and it's hard to break a habit.....?
And any advice on either method, ie. amount etc?

Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 08:43 #1 

takestock
Assuming we are talking Crofts then sealant is the way to go, they are a little shallower than originals and if you use tape it is unlikely to be thick enough to connect in the middle :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 09:37 #2 

RhodieBill
Thanks Dave.
I've bought them S/H and haven't received them yet..... Will they have any marking on them either way?

Thanks again, Bill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 09:46 #3 

PaulT
To join in on this seem to recollect reading that there had been some cases of the trims dropping off when using sealant - any recommendations of which brand of sealant and any special surface prep etc to do.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 09:46 #4 

PaulT
RhodieBill wrote:Thanks Dave.
I've bought them S/H and haven't received them yet..... Will they have any marking on them either way?

Thanks again, Bill.

There are two types - the Rover originals (gold dust) which are plastic and the Crofts which are chrome on brass.
Paul

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 09:48 #5 

RhodieBill
Hi, thanks.
I've been advised by the seller to use clear fishtank sealant, which is what he used with no problems....

I've bought this: http://www.discountleisureproducts.co.u ... nt_25G.jpg from Pets At Home.....
Regards, Bill

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 09:55 #6 

Duncan
I had mine fall off, even when using the recommended sealant. It stuck to the door very well though.

I think it may be a problem with residue from the polish left on the finishers so the sealnat didn't stick. I did clean them but didn't use any solvent to do so, only clean paper cloths. Maybe that was my mistake but i'd be wary of using silicon again.

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 09:59 #7 

RhodieBill
Thanks for that info Duncan.... I'll give it a good clean with AutoGlym Tar Remover (which I have) on both surfaces. http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/auto ... mover.aspx

Cheers.
Regards, Bill

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 10:09 #8 

RhodieBill
Just received them and they are the the thin metal type....
Regards, Bill

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 11:47 #9 

Bermudan 75
Couple of six inch nails worked for me...... :scared:

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 17:28 #10 

RhodieBill
I see what you mean about not fitting into the recess very well.... Have used the Sealer, (needed all of it!) and wedged a ball of plastic bags between the handle to hold them snug until it dries overnight. But I'm going to give them a good adhesion test and if they are not stuck properly I will use the Trim tape instead.

We will see.

Thanks again for all the input guys, now just waiting for all my walnut interior trim bits to arrive, hopefully tomorrow! And that will be it for a while until I replace the Front Door Speakers & Tweeters for upgrades, but that will be later in the year......

Ciao.
Regards, Bill

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 19:25 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
Try no nails but beware they will probly not come off again
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 26 Feb 2012, 02:32 #12 

RhodieBill
Well, with the sealer it seems to have worked nicely, not budging at all...!
Plus I've washed and polished the car so if they've survived that, they'll survive anything...lol.

Anyway, the Sun is out, (and I don't mean that crappy toilet paper they call a newspaper) so I think I might chance it and take a quick drive up to Eversley Cross, (The Frog & Wicket) to see how the other half live...lol.
Now just have to decide what to take....... The Rover or the Monster Truck?.... The Rover or the Monster Truck...... Mmmmmmm, decisions....lol...
Regards, Bill

Posted 26 Feb 2012, 08:48 #13 

mark_bonsai
Tiger Seal's the stuff you need. This is what bodykits are glued on with.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIGER-SEAL-se ... 27c234c9ea
Re-mapped & Synergy 2 on 9. EGR bypass. De-catted. Pipercross filter & modified inlet. 18" Apex's with 235 Toyo's. ZT190 big brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harmon Kardon speakers & sub. Kenwood DNX7200 double din, amp & Phatbox. Fully chromed front grill.

Posted 28 Feb 2012, 22:55 #14 

RhodieBill
Thanks for the advice, but all done..... You can juuuuuuuust about make them out here:

Regards, Bill

Posted 29 Feb 2012, 09:22 #15 

PaulT
You definitely need the darker colours to make them stand out
Paul

Posted 29 Feb 2012, 09:35 #16 

Bermudan 75
Duncan wrote:I had mine fall off, even when using the recommended sealant. It stuck to the door very well though.

I think it may be a problem with residue from the polish left on the finishers so the sealnat didn't stick. I did clean them but didn't use any solvent to do so, only clean paper cloths. Maybe that was my mistake but i'd be wary of using silicon again.

Did you lose any of the ones that fell off? I purchased 2 sets a couple of years back, one set for the car and one set to be used as spares. So if you need one I will bring them on Sunday.

Posted 09 Mar 2012, 09:40 #17 

RhodieBill
What I use are those sealed little packs of finger-cleaner you get at KFC - Works a treat!!!
Regards, Bill

Posted 09 Mar 2012, 09:43 #18 

Duncan
Rover418275 wrote:
Duncan wrote:I had mine fall off, even when using the recommended sealant. It stuck to the door very well though.

Did you lose any of the ones that fell off? I purchased 2 sets a couple of years back, one set for the car and one set to be used as spares. So if you need one I will bring them on Sunday.

Luckily, no. The first one fell off as I opened the door, so I tried the others and they all 'came off in my hand'.

But thanks for the thought. See you Sunday anyway.

Posted 09 Mar 2012, 09:47 #19 

James.uk
i used a huge blob of black screen sealant on mine, wrung them on till it squdged out of the sides, then went round cleaning the surplus off with white spirit. After that I taped them in place with masking tape over night.. Finally I used a tiny amount of clear silicone sealer applied with finger tips just to seal the edges in order to stop any moisture getting in.. Been in place for two years now so seems to have worked.. :)

BTW, they do look nice on your car innit.. :D

Posted 09 Mar 2012, 18:35 #20